Home

[K1]Revan's Robe Mod

Drizen

You mean they were trying to add animation to the cape so it doesn't look like a stiff board? XD That would be nice, especially because it would stop the clipping through your boots as you run with your character, but I don't really mind that problem as much. It doesn't look too terrible. Just what really gets on my nerves are the force animations and camera bugs, and I'm so close to having it fixed yet literally no one here seems to have adequate knowledge of gmax to help me with it. :p Curse thee BioWare. They couldn't just add in the helpers anyway for consistency, even if they weren't going to use it beyond cutscenes? I mean come on, lol.

I don't know anything about graphic design but, if nobody here knows (or is willing to say), then perhaps some other Bioware forums might be helpful. Perhaps, on some other forum, some other modder wanted to make some cool capes, and was able to fix the kinds of issues you have. Or maybe somebody might have more experience with the particular software tools you're using.

Just an idea.

I don't know anything about graphic design but, if nobody here knows (or is willing to say), then perhaps some other Bioware forums might be helpful. Perhaps, on some other forum, some other modder wanted to make some cool capes, and was able to fix the kinds of issues you have. Or maybe somebody might have more experience with the particular software tools you're using.

Just an idea.

I'm afraid that this is about the only KotOR modding community. There were the people that made Project Yavin 4th, but I don't know if they're still active. Like I said, HouseOfAmon tried, and couldn't get it to work, and he seemed to have a pretty good idea of how to model.

Also, Bioware's forums specifically forbid talking about modding, and Bioware themselves operate a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy on the subject.

Exactly InSidious, thanks for explaining that so I didn't have to. :p It's true, I've tried looking around but there are no other communities that I know which could possibly have any knowledge of this issue. I wish T7 or Kristy were still active or in some way possible to contact, because I'm certain they would know how to export the model from gmax. I attempted to email Kristy already but she has not responded.

UPDATE: OMG! I finally figured it out! After a grueling amount of digging around and trial-and-error attempts, I finally managed to figure out how to extract the model, as well as convert it back to binary MDL + MDX. I have tested the model in-game, and it now works exactly as I always wanted. No more camera bugs, force lightning will shoot out of my hand now instead of my feet, and no missing shaders! Again, thank you guys for all the help.

For exporting it as an ascii.mdl, you don't actually use NWmax at all--that's only for the import part. For exporting, you select the model's aurorabase (the large flat square that the model stands on top of), and then a window with some options will appear on the right-hand side of the application. Select Export Geom Only and export it, then it works. From there, I ran into another huge problem as I couldn't figure out how to convert the ascii.mdl back into binary using MDLOps. After about 2 hours worth of searching and googling, I found a tutorial that taught me how to do just that. You have to rename the exported MDL so that it isn't the same as the original MDL, and then plop the original ASCII, edited ASCII, and original binary files all in the same folder, and then click read and write. For the longest time I couldn't understand this and kept converting it all wrong, but now it works.

Now hopefully I can get to work on other features of my mod. I'm going to try scripting it so that it can be acquired from somewhere in-game so that you don't have to use cheats to get the custom item. Anyway, if anyone wants what I've currently done, I'll gladly upload it to filefront or something for you guys, so you can use the bug-free version of Revan's Robes yourself. Just let me know if you're interested and I'll do it.

EDIT: The mod is complete for now and has been submitted to Kotor Files. If you're interested in using it, check back with Kotor Files in a few days and hopefully they will have it uploaded by then. The mod includes the robes as a separate custom item and various options such a spawning it on a placeable are also included.

It's available now on FileFront if you would like to check it out.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Darth_Revans_Robes_Fixed;85122

However, I would like to add more to the mod. Now I'm trying to work on a way to make it so that when you equip the robes, you wear them with hood and cape still but with no mask. Then, I want to create a separate item for the mask so that when you equip it, the mask goes on as well. I have read some item creation tutorials here but none tell me how to change the clothing model of a custom item--they just assume you want to use the same model of the item you are basing yours off of (Ex. say I extract jedi robe item and edit its stats, but I also want to change the look of the model, not just textures and stats). How do I do this when creating a custom item UTI? I want to have it so that when I equip the robes, initially there is no mask.

the models without mask got bugs with charracter head goin thru the hood. i'll sure wont download that mod :) i like the way it is now, nicely done!

An excellent point, which is why I want to update the mod in such a way so that the robes do not replace any default items, while providing both options to give everyone what they want--those who want to use the robes without the mask may do so, while others can wear the mask too by simply equipping the mask in their inventory. The problem is that I can't figure out how to implement the unmasked version of the robes without replacing a pre-existing item, which poses a very difficult situation that at this rate I may never be able to solve. I think the only way to use the unmasked version without replacing any items would require some sort of 2DA file editing, but I can't figure it out as the only tutorials on 2DA editing here deal with adding new PC heads and it's very vague at explaining how each step affects the game in the process. Does anyone know if what I'm trying to do is even possible?

PS. Glad you guys are enjoying the mod though. :)

Archived