Home

XWA Crahses freezes and chrashes the comp

Slammo

Greetings fellow pilots.

A true shame that my first post would be that of a cry for help, but what can ya do :)

I recently installed XWA on XP. No problems occurred during installation. After installation I patched to 2.02 and installed all crafts from the XWA upgrade project. No problems occurred during any of this.

Once in the game I fire up a combat sim to get some practice. I can play for abut 4-5 minutes, after that the game freezes, sound hangs and the computer goes black. After that I can do nothing but force a restart on the comp.

I have tried to reinstall, apply patch and run without the XWAU crafts. Same thing happens, if anything the crash occurs faster than with XWAU. I have yet to try and install, copy all the contents on the cds to the install folder, patch and then retry. Gonna do that once I get home.

My computer system:

XP SP2

ATI Radeon 3870

Intel pentium QUAD

2 gig ram

Sound drivers and graphic drivers have all been patched to latest.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

Slammo

Remember, you can also post on the LucasArts tech support forums. The user "Emkay1001" is especially good w/ this stuff. :)

Also, just thought of something...if you're running a multi-core processor, have you thought of setting the game to run on only one core?

Ok, I have posted a thread the at Lucas Arts Tech Forum. Also tried the processor trick, no effect. I have now, I think, identified the problem. Whenever "3d Hardware" is set to "Yes" under "Video Options" the game crashes, when it is set to "No" it runs fine. Since that option both lowers the quality drastically, and prevents me from using the XWAU mods I'd love to be able to solve this problem.

As before, any help is widely appreciated.

Regards

Slammo

Ok, I have posted a thread the at Lucas Arts Tech Forum. Also tried the processor trick, no effect. I have now, I think, identified the problem. Whenever "3d Hardware" is set to "Yes" under "Video Options" the game crashes, when it is set to "No" it runs fine. Since that option both lowers the quality drastically, and prevents me from using the XWAU mods I'd love to be able to solve this problem.

As before, any help is widely appreciated.

Regards

Slammo

After talking to ppl on the official lucas arts tech forum and doing some research of my own it would appear that the HD3870 model do not support a number of older games, and ATI are refusing to give us a driver to fix this problem. Not much to do but drown my sorrows in whiskey and wait for a driver.

Regards

Slammo

Hi there.

I also had major graphical problem with DX5-7 games on HD3870.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=35500&view=findpost&p=313805 As a result, I have replaced HD3870 with X1950Pro. Since I no longer have HD3870 I cannot verify if AMD fixed there drivers with DX10 hardware. Can you please test X-Wing Alliance and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter with Cat 8.4? I also would like to know if you have Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Battlezone 1, Drakan - Order of the Flame, AvP1 Gold or Normal, I’m curious to see if it works.

Thanks in advanced!

BTW Here is the forum link that talks about ATI NVIDIA and Old game support

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2136118&STARTPAGE=1

Hi there.

I also had major graphical problem with DX5-7 games on HD3870.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=35500&view=findpost&p=313805 As a result, I have replaced HD3870 with X1950Pro. Since I no longer have HD3870 I cannot verify if AMD fixed there drivers with DX10 hardware. Can you please test X-Wing Alliance and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter with Cat 8.4? I also would like to know if you have Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Battlezone 1, Drakan - Order of the Flame, AvP1 Gold or Normal, I’m curious to see if it works.

Thanks in advanced!

BTW Here is the forum link that talks about ATI NVIDIA and Old game support

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2136118&STARTPAGE=1

Hi there. It was actually your post in that thread which got me the last piece of the puzzle so to speak. Anywhoo, neither X-alliance or XWvsTF works with Cat 8.4. As for the other games I can not tell since I do not own them. I have yet to try the omega drivers recomended by Wildstar.

Regards

Slammo

Hi there. It was actually your post in that thread which got me the last piece of the puzzle so to speak. Anywhoo, neither X-alliance or XWvsTF works with Cat 8.4. As for the other games I can not tell since I do not own them. I have yet to try the omega drivers recomended by Wildstar.

Regards

Slammo

Thanks! What a let down, be sure to report your feedback to ATI Catalyst Crew Feedback

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=88116&enterthread=y

Archived