Home

[Episode II-III Fic] I, Vader

(Author's Note: In 1999, Michael A. Stackpole wrote a novel entitled "I, Jedi", centered around future Master Corran Horn. It is from this novel that I take my title, 'I, Vader', written from Anakin Skywalker's point of view during the very end of Episode II and all of Episode III. Anakin and Luke have always been my favorite two male characters of the Star Wars saga, and I hate it that Anakin's dialogue and motivations in the prequels seem--well--at an eighth-grade level, if that. I intend to fix that in this series. Wish me luck!)

She was all I breathed for--Padmè, my love, my life! Some said it was a selfish thing, to attach oneself to a single person when the fate of the entire galaxy was at stake. The thing was, I knew this, yet I knew I couldn't save the galaxy without her. Without my Queen, from where would come my strength, my desire to see things through until the bitter end? From where would come her strength? She was no small player in the destiny of a thousand worlds, being a Galactic Senator from Naboo. The courage to make wise decisions did not come easily, especially when political pressure was squeezing you from all sides. We needed each other like crops needed rain, like starships needed true coordinates, like life itself needed the Force.

Why, then, am I standing here before a Sith Lord, my resolve crumbling?

"Anakin. You have already made your decision. You must go forward in it."

"I can't! The Jedi sense something already; I'm sure of it. If I turn back now, surrender myself into the custody of the Council, they might be lenient. Master Windu died at your hand, but I severed his other one just as well! Senator Palpatine--"

"My true name is Darth Sidious. I suspect that in a very short time, you shall call me Master." He stepped toward me, the breeze from his ruffling cloak sending chills down my spine. "Mace Windu's death was a tragedy, yes, but let us not forget that it was due to his own arrogance--and his treason."

The man had a point. I looked up, breathing in the danger all around me, waiting, yet no rescue came. Master Kenobi was in the Utapau system, off on a mission to fight and turn General Grievous into a smoldering pile of spare parts. Padmè, my darling, who presently carried our child, was safe at home. I was grateful. What would she do if she saw us together, a faltering Jedi and a newly-revealed Sith Lord? Perhaps she would have the strength to save us both; her love was stronger than anything I'd ever known except the Force itself. Yet here we were, the guilty one and the judge, each one of us facing condemnation. Would he or I be the one to yield?

"I want to be back in her arms," I rasped suddenly. "On Naboo, where nothing could touch us. I could flee here right now and go home to Padmè, into exile."

"You know the Jedi would hunt you down and kill you. At least they'd try, for what you've done."

How had it come to this, to the slaughter of one righteous man by another--nay, another two--who had fallen into darkness, or very soon would? It had all begun with the nightmares, or even before, when we were first wed...

"Dearly beloved, we know why we are here," the Naboo holy man had pronounced as Padmè and I stood, close enough to touch, underneath a rose-covered arbor overlooking the shimmering lake. "Love is a force that can conquer anything, even death. Without love, we all are lost, because it is love that gives us hope for living. Without love, there can be no family, no friends, and no lasting happiness. It is because of love that we are here, and for no other reason."

I took Padmè's hand in mine, and she tenderly slipped one of hers into my metal prosthetic. The holy man gave us a smile, and we began our vows.

"Padmè Amidala," I began, "Senator, former Queen of Naboo, you have my love and my complete devotion for all time. Ten thousand years after this galaxy's last star burns out, I shall be yours. You've had my heart since I first met you, my soul since I first kissed you, and my will since we first pledged our love upon our way to certain death. I will be your true and faithful husband, giving myself to no other. This is my vow to you; let it never be broken. Not by poverty, nor sickness, nor by death. Let it stand before these witnesses as a sign of my eternal commitment to you, and to us both."

"Anakin Skywalker," cried Padmè, beaming, "Jedi Knight, you have my love and my complete devotion for all time. Ever since I first met you upon Tatooine, a boy in bondage, I knew our love would free us someday. You, from the toil of years as a slave and the death of your mother. Myself, from a Senator's term and a reign as Queen where I certainly knew a higher duty, but not the one thing--love--that makes people bear its weight! I will be your true and faithful wife, giving myself to no other. This is my promise to you; let it never be broken. Not if we're sick, or poor, or old, or dead. Let it stand before these witnesses as a sign of my eternal commitment to you, and to us both."

The holy man raised his hands high. "By the sovereign laws of Naboo, and in the name of the Force, I now pronounce you husband and wife."

We embraced. I'd never been so happy in my life, known such joy...

....which was in danger of vanishing. How could I have fallen so far, so fast?

"I'm waiting, Anakin. Take your time. I have all in this galaxy, and then some."

Archived