Home

[k1]how do you add coustem planats to the map

Canderis

in the tutorial you posted i dont understand this

7# Hex Edit the .mdl file from step 2. Replace the one instance of the original texture name to the new texture name (eg. Find "GUI_YAVIN_1" and replace with "GUI_SLEHE_1"). Replace the 4 instances of the original model name to the modified name (eg. Find "lplanet_01" and replace with "lplanet_04"). Save the modification.

Basically, you have to go to KoTOR 1 < BIFs < models.bif < Aurora Model (and Aurora Model Extension). Then you should find lplanet_01.mdl and lplanet_01.mdx (i believe those are the file names) in the Aurora Model and Aurora Model Extension folders, respectively. Extract both of them with the button on the right side of KoTOR Tool, and make sure they are in the same directory.

Then go to KoTOR 1 < ERFs < Texture Packs < swpc_tex_gui.erf < G. Find the file that matches the .mdl and .mdx, they usually have a similar name. Though in this case, the file you're looking for is GUI_YAVIN_1. Double-click it so it appears in the image viewer, and write file to save it as a .tga extension.

Now leave the .tga alone for the time being. Download a Hex editor OR use Mdlops (both can be downloaded from the stickies here in Holowan). If you are using a Hex editor, open lplanet_01.mdl, and use the CTRL-F feature to find each instance of lplanet_01 with your desire planet tag, which must match the name of the .mdl and one of the files in planetary.2da. For example, per TK's post in that tutorial, change all instances of lplanet_01 w/ lplanet_04. Then find the instance of GUI_YAVIN_1 and replace it with your .tga file's name, for example, per above, GUI_SLEHE_1. This file name MUST be the same number of characters as the original's name (GUI_YAVIN_1 and GUI_SLEHE_1 have the same number of characters. Alternatively, you could use Mdlops' renamer function, which makes everything a whole lot easier and safer. :D

Then go to Mdlops and open up your edited .mdl, if you haven't already done so. Then read and write the file, and rename them properly, in this case, lplanet_04.mdl and lplanet_04.mdx. If you haven't renamed your .tga to match the new name you gave it in the .mdl, also do so. You can also edit the .tga to your liking, though in all honesty the .tga editing is the problem I have when creating custom planets.

I think that about covers it, if anyone sees any errors, please be sure to point them out.

Archived