Home

The concept of God being alive forever.

LordOfTheFish

Well, this is going with the basic assumption that god actually does exist which technically hasn't been proven. This is also assuming the he, it, she, or the spaghetti monster does indeed "live forever" which technically isn't really possible. Everything eventually dies or deteriorates over time. Some may say he lives forever in our hearts, minds, or in the trees or some other weird thing like that, however, if that is true does he actually exist at that point in time or is he just an Ideology that doesn't actually physically exist?

Instead of trying to prove or comprehend how he would live forever, maybe look at what assumptions you are making to come to that conclusion...?

Actually, it's very relevant. If something doesn't exist it can't live forever. Bam, question answered! :)

Plus, in order to answer any question you have to understand what's being asked, and also understand what assumptions are being made. If you don't do that, where's the point in answering the question if the answer is flawed?

I don't really consider "god doesn't exist" as being a relevant answer for the concept of god living forever. If think if you were in a philosophy class and you put that as your answer on an exam you'd get a particularly low score for copping out. :)

Although, it doesn't exclude the possibility of the answer being, "God doesn't exist, therefore he can't live forever".

Also, $10 says I could ace the exam if I did put that as my answer... :D

Given the thread I chose not to go into detail because as you mentioned it's not 100% related to the topic, however, that doesn't mean it's an invalid answer. :)

I have to agree with KinchyB here. I guess I don't see the percentage in having a discussion about whether or not the tea in Russell's Teapot has always been Earl Grey if there's no evidence for Russell's Teapot in the first place. Why? Because how can you possibly know when you've found the answer if it's not tied to something objective and therefore observable? (Hint: you can't).

How can god exist outside of space and time? Magic. Bam. Conversation stopper achieved. Let's move on because looking for a logical answer is literally impossible and it won't take to long for a theist to point that out.

I wouldn't use the term 'alive' to describe the almighty, as he's never been described as having flesh/blood/etc. 'Alive' is a word for mortals.

I couldn't think of anything else to use.

KinchyB: Your answer doesn't help me. If you refuse to believe in the existence of God, than you shouldn't reply to this thread.

Your answer doesn't help me. If you refuse to believe in the existence of God, than you shouldn't reply to this thread.

You're young so I'm giving you a pass on this. But, do consider where you post things in the future. The senate may not be the best place for this thread...

Just standing up for what I believe in...

Final Note...saying people can't do something is not standing up for what you believe in. Having a constructive conversation discussing your various points of view is standing up for what you believe in.

Saying something more like, "Thanks Kinchy, but I'm more taking a view that God does exist. So if he does exist, how can he live forever? What do you think?" Then my reasoning for saying he doesn't exist is a moot point, and I can run and hide. :)

So, the question of this thread is an eternal God. If we're going to have this discussion, I'll start, as I almost always do, by defining the key concept/term:

What is God? In the terms of the Abrahamic religions, God is the supreme being, and is both omniscient and omnipotent. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

However, when we look at the concept of God scientifically, we arrive at the conclusion that, using reason and logic, God cannot be prove. Therefore, it would be irrelevant to even ponder this question.

From the beginning of time, religion (or lack thereof) has been one of the major points of any civilization. However, only in the recent millenniums has the idea of a single god become prevalent among people.

At any rate, we arrive at today, where monotheism (specifically the belief in the Abrahamic God) is dominant, holding sway over half of the world. But I digress.

Getting back to the question, I like to look at 'God' as an idea, not as a physical being. People believe in something that cannot be proven logically, but emotionally/by faith (to the believing individual). By doing so, they take an idea (AKA God) and transform it into something that can be acquired/met (albeit after death).

Therefore, so long as humans are willing to believe in something they cannot prove (something that may go on for a very long time), God exists. Thus, from my point of view, the correct question should be "How long will humans believe in God?" for if the object of belief has no followers, does it truly exist?

Archived