Home

Max Modeling Question

Istorian

Yes, I have a modeling question of some sort again, although I believe that you'll be able to answer it easily, Top Kotor Modelers...

So here goes: I have an alley, and I want it to lead to a spherical room. If I create an 100-sided circle (spline) and extrude it, it doesn't fit well to the door...How am I going to do this? Thanks in advance!:D

Graphical Display:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
rooms.jpg

|I|

Make it from a cylinder, then build your hallway from a box so both shapes are closed off use the standard primitives.

select each part and hit Alt+ x to make your mesh see through in smooth shaded mode helps a lot to see if the intersection is properly removed for the boolean

tip: Alt+X again to toggle see though on / off

make sure the hallway mesh fully intersects your room This is doubly important since your intersecting a round round object make sure all verts at the end of the hall are in the room mesh ;) check your top and side views to see they are

then select your hallway

go to the [create tab ] geometry > then the standard primitives drop down: > it's found under compound objects > boolean

Boolean operand choose Union for the operation

select the Move radio button below the pick operand B button

now you click the Pick Operand B button and click your room cylinder

where the hallway intersected with the room will have been removed if all went well

Booleans can be tricky try the deferent settings to see which one will give you the result you want, if the result is not what you want hit Ctrl + Z to undo and try another combination. Also make sure your parts are closed off capped ect.. even you if you delete the caps afterwards. If operand A: is not what you want then hit the move tool to exit the boolean and pick the opposite part then hit boolean again to try it over.

then simply right click your mesh and > convert to edpoly or edmesh ;) to be able to edit it in sub object mode and delete any end piece or caps you no longer require.

svösh

• 2 weeks later...

Svosh, thanks for the help, you've been a great asset, and I'm really happy you returned to LF to help us!:xp:

However, I have another question. I would like to create a curved hallway, like in this image:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
hallway.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!:D

|I|

It's no problem Istorian, I'm much more willing to help people that say thanks :) and thanks to DarthParametric for that handy .gif that will help them.

If you haven't performed the boolean yet then go to the modifier tab and throw in some length segments on your hallway box easiest way. Reshape like the .gif in vert mode after the boolean.

For adding new segments in max or gmax , if your mesh is already editable mesh or poly :

Extrude the polygon at the far end of your hallway 3 or 4 more times then in the top view port in vert sub object mode move the verts like DarthParametric's .gif shows, be sure that ignore backfacing is not on.

To get a smoother curve to your hallway I would also rotate the verts on Z at each new segment by eye. either positive or negative depending on what side of the center division your on.

As a second option to subdivide your mesh you could use "slice plane" in polygon sub object mode but extruding it is simpler.

svösh

Archived