Home

[K1] Non-jedi PC (no class change on dantooine)

Scratch Monkey

This is a pretty weird request; I have been searching and I'm sure that it doesn't exist yet, but it's possible that I've missed a past discussion of a similar topic or something.

I would like to play through K1, the entire game, as a scoundrel. On Dantooine when the main PC would normally switch to a Jedi class, I just want to skip the class change and stay a non-force-user for the entire game.

I realize that this might be flat-out impossible, but I also realize that we have some pretty brilliant scripters around here so I figured it was worth asking.

I assume that even if it's doable, there will remain tons of conflicting dialogue, cutscenes, and plot assumptions... and that's fine with me. I don't care if everyone in the game calls me a Jedi, and I don't care if I still have to learn the jedi code and pick my lightsaber color (even though I wouldn't be able to equip a lightsaber) and stuff.

In case it matters, I usually play a light-side female scoundrel.

I've never done any kotor scripting before, but I'm willing to give it a try if someone wants to point me at the appropriate files to be making changes in.

Thanks in advance for any response. :-)

If you download the KOTOR Save-game Editor, you could do this yourself. It allows you to change, add, and remove classes, feats, force powers, etc. for your pc and npc's. It's really easy to use, even I was able to figure it out ;) . Just save your game after you go thru the jedi training stuff and change your class and remove the corresponding feats and force powers. It should only take 2 minutes to do so. But, if you don't want to do it for every game you start, then someone should be able to whip up a mod for you rather easily.

If you download the KOTOR Save-game Editor, you could do this yourself.

Doh! I should have thought of that, thank you very much. :-)

Or you could just remove the script that adds the class.

A useful suggestion, however I'm too ignorant to know which script that is or how to locate it. Also I'm confused as to how one would remove a script... I know you can add things by dropping them into override... I guess I would have to put an empty file of the same name in?

In case you need it, I've modified the file in question here. Drop it into your Override folder and load a savegame before you become a Jedi and you should remain a scoundrel. And, as you pointed out, there will no doubt be some interesting conversations, as the other characters assume you to be a Jedi. And unfortunately, I have no way of knowing whether this change might stop the plot somewhere down the line. Hopefully not.

- Star Admiral

Actually, it's not that hard. I've bested him using two fully upgraded pistols and some energy shields. Sure, he can deflect the blaster bolts with his lightsaber, but the closer he is to me, the harder it is for him to do so. With a little bit of patience, you can wear him down.

- Star Admiral

In case you need it, I've modified the file in question here. Drop it into your Override folder and load a savegame before you become a Jedi and you should remain a scoundrel.

Thank you VERY much! :-)

Just out of curiousity...how do you plan to defeat malak at the end of the game without the force? or a lightsaber for that matter?

I'm thinking sneak attack, over and over again. But it will be slow and difficult, what with no way to prevent him from healing.

I'll post here and/or edit my initial post if I run into any game-stopping bugs with this approach.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived