Home

Saber styles of lightsabers

Caridorc

Hi all!

I was trying to modify a backhand saber and I met some problems. Is it possible to make a saber with fixed styles? I mean: if in the sab file I write "saberStyle desann", when I play with that saber I can use only that style. So, is it possible to use only two or three or more style? (ex. staff, desann and tavion)

Many thanks...

You can use the commands 'saberstyleforbbiden' and 'saberstylelearned' to set what styles to use. If you want a saber to use staff, Tavion, and Desann it would look like this:

saberstylelearned staff

saberstylelearned Tavion

saberstylelearned Desann

saberstyleforbidden fast

saberstyleforbidden medium

saberstyleforbidden strong

saberstyleforbidden dual

One major problem will be that a backhand saber will remain backwards when you try to use tavion and desann styles. It will not turn around. I am working on a saber mod that will flip the saber around from backhand to regular when your character attacks with a single saber style. This means two things however: 1) the saber will not work with the staff attacks the same way the other backhand sabers do and 2) I have to make new run and walk forward and back animations or else the character flips the saber around when he moves. I made these animations and got them in game with no problems, but I want to redo them since they did not look too much like the SA. I like them but the people who would use them want to look like the SA.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting...unfortunatly I've done the mod before reading this, so sad...But I did a mess because I switch all the animations of the regular styles with the tavion, desann and staff ones...it's nice. Also I did the stances and they looks nice...I have to do new running animations too. What do you use? I use dragon...

So you switched all the single saber swings with tavion, desann, and staff swings? I imagine that did take awhile.

I'm using Dragon to do all my animations too.

If you make a stance it is possible to start from the default pose, I did that for my Secret Apprentice stance, but I would recommend loading up a stance from JA and editing it to what you want. That way you don't have to deal with correctly position the feet on the floor. That's what I do for my run animations. I keep the same leg animations and just edit the torso to what I want.

Here is a guide made by HeavyMetalGungan that he posted on the filefront forums. The first part deals with getting animations in game and the second deals with switching the dragon glm with JA's glm.

Someone asked how to get animations in game, after I'd told then I was so proud of my answer I decided to share it with the world!

1. Open your stance/animation in dragon.

2. Make sure that your character's feet are on the floor, otherwise in game you'll be flying.

3. Type into the console: savegla filename. Make sure it isn't the same name as the original dragon file.

4. Copy and Paste your .GLA file into your _humanoid folder, if you don't have one you can make it:

Base\Models\Players\_humanoid.

5. If your made a new folder copy and paste the _humanoid.gla file, animation.cfg file and animevents.cfg* file from assets1.PK3 into your folder, if you already had it miss this stage.

6. Put the glamerge.exe file in your folder as well, it should be located in the same place as dragon.exe.

7.Open notepad and make a file with this in it:

@ECHO OFF

"glamerge.exe" "_humanoid.gla" "Put your filename here.gla" -o

PAUSE

EXIT

Save it as gla_merge.bat file in your _humanoid folder.

8. Check every thing is where it should be:

_humanoid.gla

GLAmerge.exe

gla_merge.bat

Your .GLA file

Then double click on the gla_merge.bat file.

You should get a message asking for a file name, if you don't then you have probably miss-typed something somewhere or don't have a file in the right place.

When typing in your file name DO NOT add .gla on the end or Glamerge will have a tantrum.

9.When GLAmerge has finished look in your _humanoid folder, you should now have a new file.

Delete the _humanoid.gla file then rename the new file _humanoid.gla.

10. Now open Modveiw (Comes with this Modeling/Skinning Guide and Tools, Jedi Knight 3 Downloads, Jedi Knight 3 Modding Tools)

and chose the animation/stance you want to replace.

11. Once you have chosen, find the animation in animation.cfg. If you are using a completely un-edited copy of _humanoid.gla, change the first number to 21376, this the starting frame of your animation. If your are using an edited copy of _humanoid.gla then find the newest animation added by looking at the final frame number of the animation right at the bottom of the list of animations. Put this new number instead of 21376. Also if you are using a changed _humanoid.gla you should also have a changed version of animation.cfg. Edit this instead of the default one.

12. Change the next number across to the amount of frames in your animation.

13. Change the 3rd number across to 0 if you want your animation to loop over and over until it is told to stop (eg. walking animation) or -1 if you want it to only play once and stay on the final frame until the event is over. For 1 frame stances either will work.

14. Change the final number across to the speed you want to play at. The default is 20, the dragon preview speed is 12. Negative numbers will make your animation play backwards.**

15. Save and close the animation.cfg file then open up Modveiw again. Scroll right to the bottom of the list of animations and you should find the animation you wanted to replace. Double click on it to veiw it.

16. Package your new _humanoid.gla file and animation.cfg file into a PK3 under. Models\players\_humanoid

17. Save and test!***

*Putting animevents.cfg in is not nessesary for this tutorial but can be usefull in other circumstances.

**When testing in modveiw the animation can only play at 20 and -20 fps, so don't be worried if it's going too fast/slow.

*** In SP it is best to load a new map instead of loading a saved game as sometimes JKA will try to load the old animations. Once they've been loaded once they should work on saved games.

Note: If you have already added an animation to the game you can miss out stages 5, 6 and 7. Just change the gla_merge.bat file to suit your new gla.

Once you've got used to it it's easy to get animations ingame. I can now do it in about 2 minutes.

Holy sh*t I'm tired now.

I will make 2 more tutorials on using ingame animations and editing the animevents.cfg file soon.

HOW TO IMPORT ANIMATIONS!!

Ah, that is quite a simple matter:

1. Go into your dragon folder and replace JA_humanoid.gla with the _humanoid file from your base.

2. Find the startframe and length of the animation you want to edit.

3. In dragon type the following into the console

Impframe "Startframe" "length" (remover quotes)

You only ever have to do step 1 once. You don't have to do it each time your import a series of frames.

Here are some of the animations that I have done:

shot0005.png

shot0002.png

This SA stance is for regular, non backhand sabers.

shot0001.png

This is the same stance for backhand sabers. Available here http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/kmbackhandbeta05;95994

shot0004.png

The SA run for regular sabers.

shot0003.png

The original JK and MotS run.

shot0000.png

The Battlefront run.

Yeah go ahead and show off your Starkiller stance, I would like to see how yours turns out.

Very nice, good job. Do you have the dragon cfg files for your battlefront and SA running anim? If you agree I will put them in my mod...Here my stances (in picture you don't see but stances are complete with breathing animations and the first with the idle sequence fixed with mine)

fast (tavion anims) and medium (desann anims) styles

wii.jpg

strong style (staff anims)

xbox.jpg

Hey those are really, really good! I mean it, those are awesome! I'll give you the files after I do a release with them. I want to put them out first before I give them out. Those stances are going to work great with the run animations. If you don't want to wait on my runs you could load up the JA runs and edit them. That's how I made mine.

Good luck on the runs. They are not hard to make, just tedious and time consuming. Stick with them and you should have no problems. And don't be afraid to start over a time or two. Oh one more thing, save often, that way you can go back and load up a previous version instead of starting over.

On jk3files there is a submit button on the left menu. It is under the heading 'The Files.' Once you upload a file it will take about a week before it will be up.

I need to finish two more backhand stances before I upload the backhand run. After that I give you the cfg file.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind putting some stuff together for a little mod, but I don't want to try and do anything major. Nothing like make a new saber attack style or anything. Truthfully, I don't like the BH style all that much, I'm just making it for the community and practice. It's fun to make but I prefer to work on other animations.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if there's a way to set different running anim for each saber style. You (reader) may ask: why?:confused: The answer is quite simple:D: as you can see by scrolling up the page, I've made two stances (standard and backhanded (BH) ), but I've also made a BH running anim. So I was asking because my running anim sucks with the standard stance :xp:...so, is there a way to

set an anim for the BH style (red style)

and set a different anim for the standard style (blu/yellow)?

Unfortunately no. I looked for this too a while back and the single sabers all use the same run, but the duals and staff have their own run. For the FU stance mini-mod I'm making I was going to replace all the standard stances with bh stances as well as the staff. I'm not sure if I want to do anything with the duals yet.

It should be possible in MP to code different runs with the different saber styles, but not SP. If the SP source code is released this is on my to do list. Right now I only know a little BASIC and COG (from JK). I learned cog just by looking at what others did, so that's how I plan to learn coding later. I also have some c++ books to refer to. You could still open a thread and see if anybody could help you if your ok for the animations being MP only. I'm making my mini mod mainly for SP, because that is what I play.

Archived