Home

Reskinning mission...

LadyRevan

Hi everyone,

How exactly do I reskin Mission, I mean I know how to... just not how to do it so that it looks right and so her her model doesn't use her eye's texture as her hair...

If anyone could help me with this I'd apprecaite it... and by all means if it's something stupid that could've been resolved easily... don't hesitate to kick me. :p

Her main head texture is P_MissionH01.tga, while her lekku are in her clothes texture P_MissionBB01.tga. :)

You can always hex edit her head model and change the name of P_MissionBB01.tga to something else (for example P_MissionLK01.tga) as long as it has the same number of characters (13).

I tried this once, and found that if I wanted DS transitions, it caused other obstacles. For each extra skin (ex: P_MissionH01d1.tga, d2.tga etc) it would no longer use the extra skin (P_MissionLK01.tga) that I made for the lekku. Instead it used the P_MissionH01d1.tga for both head and lekku. To get around that, I used Taina's replacer to fix the uvw map so that it picked a place in P_MissionH01.tga, like her neck (for bare lekku) or her headpiece (for covered lekku). That way for each of her DS transitions, it will use the same area of each successive tga, so her lekku will get darker (or more pale if you go the zombie route) just like the rest of her face.

Just give her a new head model. That's what I did for the Mission as Darth Talon K1 conversion.

I'd actually rather keep the same model cause missions model is a bit different from all the others in being that it looks somewhat more teenager-ish then the other models.

You can always hex edit her head model and change the name of P_MissionBB01.tga to something else (for example P_MissionLK01.tga) as long as it has the same number of characters (13).

I tried this once, and found that if I wanted DS transitions, it caused other obstacles. For each extra skin (ex: P_MissionH01d1.tga, d2.tga etc) it would no longer use the extra skin (P_MissionLK01.tga) that I made for the lekku. Instead it used the P_MissionH01d1.tga for both head and lekku. To get around that, I used Taina's replacer to fix the uvw map so that it picked a place in P_MissionH01.tga, like her neck (for bare lekku) or her headpiece (for covered lekku). That way for each of her DS transitions, it will use the same area of each successive tga, so her lekku will get darker (or more pale if you go the zombie route) just like the rest of her face.

Actually this sounds like a good idea to be honest, I think I'll look into doing this. :D

Edit:

Okay I'm still having a bit of a problem... every time I use mdlops to rename missions "p_missionbb01" texture to "p_missionh01" it strips the model of its animations... could someone tell me how to get around this, please, this is VERY frustrating.

I'd actually rather keep the same model cause missions model is a bit different from all the others in being that it looks somewhat more teenager-ish then the other models.
It's a bit different, but not markedly. The main facial structure difference is the shape of the nose, and, more importantly, the fact that Mission's face is positioned higher than the default Twi'lek one. Mission's larger head wrap also makes her face, particularly her forehead, look smaller. You could conceivably tweak the shape by altering certain vertex positions.

th_Mission-Head-Comparison.jpg

A larger problem is that it is mapped significantly differently, beyond a case of simple arrangement, so it's not a trivial matter to convert the texture.

th_Mission-Head-UV.jpg th_Twilek-Head-UV.jpg

Okay I'm still having a bit of a problem... every time I use mdlops to rename missions "p_missionbb01" texture to "p_missionh01" it strips the model of its animations... could someone tell me how to get around this, please, this is VERY frustrating.
You don't use MDLOps to change the texture. You need to hex edit the binary MDL. You need to replace it with something using the same amount of characters, so something like p_missionbb99 would be the way to go.

It's a bit different, but not markedly. The main facial structure difference is the shape of the nose, and, more importantly, the fact that Mission's face is positioned higher than the default Twi'lek one. Mission's larger head wrap also makes her face, particularly her forehead, look smaller. You could conceivably tweak the shape by altering certain vertex positions.

th_Mission-Head-Comparison.jpg

A larger problem is that it is mapped significantly differently, beyond a case of simple arrangement, so it's not a trivial matter to convert the texture.

th_Mission-Head-UV.jpg th_Twilek-Head-UV.jpg

You don't use MDLOps to change the texture. You need to hex edit the binary MDL. You need to replace it with something using the same amount of characters, so something like p_missionbb99 would be the way to go.

~Face palms~ Well I feel particularly blonde today. :p I totally should've seen that. Thanks DarthParametric. :)

Sorry for the double post, that one seemed to be getting a bit on the big side so I wanted to put this next one into it's own post....

Anywho, I've been reskinning pretty much all day for mission's head and I've done this... I'm not sure I'm satisfied with it... at all actually... but its about all I can do other then having to do some modeling work which I'm horrible at...

mission1rg0.png

missiondlz1.png

Tell me how it looks. :)

Another major difference is that the generic Twi'lek head model doesn' have goggle or mask hooks. Mission wouldn't be able to wear masks or goggles in-game unless you use her actual head mdl.

Plus Mission has the extra 3D modeled emblem in the middle of her head wrap.

I use a hex editor to re-name those fields in a .mdl file. Specifically I use XVI32 to edit (it's freeware), and HexCmp to compare 2 .mdl files (it's shareware with a trial time limit).

Tut-replaceMissionBB.jpg

Once you open the .mdl file, click the Replace button (circled in red). In the dialoge box, click the Text string option, and enter the name you want to change in the top box (P_MissionBB) and the name you want to change it to in the bottom box (P_MissionLK). Then click the Replace all button. Save.

You'll then need 6 tga files for Mission: P_MissionH01 & P_MissionBB01 will be identical; P_MissionHd101, P_MissionHd201, P_MissionHd301 & P_MissionHd01 will be her dark side transitions.

AFAIK, this is the only way to make it work, since you need to keep the same number of characters when renaming. P_MissionBB & P_MissionH have 11 & 10 characters respectively, so that's why it has to be renamed to P_MissionLK (also 11).

You can still use mdlops to do the re-naming, but you need to change P_MissionBB to P_MissionLK.

Once all that's done, you'll still need to edit the uvw map to change the position of her lekku.

I hope you can get it to work now. If you continue to have problems, PM me, and I can probably whip up a modded head model for you.

okay... this is what I did.... and I think it looks pretty good to be honest. :D

I noticed that when we we're talking about all of this... I was missing what was right in front of my face; just reskin her to fit the model! So thats what I did.... anyway... here is the end result of what I did...

missionfrontgh4.png

Better. No?

I may have to tone the cracks on her face down a bit but I think this'll work... unless you think the cracks look good the way they are... then I'll keep them. :D

Archived