Home

Hi, first post...

I read around, but I still have no idea what I'm doing with KT. Here's my main goal(s):

I want to be able to dual wield a lightsaber and a blaster. The fake lightsaber doesn't have to be able to deflect or anything. My main goal is to get a lightsaber to basically be a "blaster with an empty clip." In other words, I want it to just stand there and look pretty. :p

Then, I want a blaster that will act like a blade or empty hand. I'll then alternate weapons between [blaster and *lightsaber*] and [*blaster* and lightsaber] depending on how close the enemy is.

If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm willing to bet, not possible. You'll need to create a new model for either the blaster to make it look like a lightsaber or a new model for the lightsaber to look like a blaster. Either way isn't easy, and the animations would probably be weird. If one of the modeling experts could lend their advice, that would be great.

- Star Admiral

Hello, zander811! Welcome to Lucasforums!

One thing that you can take a look at is baseitems.2da. This is in the BIFs section under 2da.bif. What you can do is find the pistol row (row 12 for KotOR 1), and copy it (right click on the gray box to the left of it). Go down past the last line where there is a blank line and type is anything in the first column. Now right click the gray box next to this line and hit paste. First change the Row_Label to the next number in sequence, and set the name to -1 or ****. Change the label to Saber_pistol, or whatever you would like. Change item class to w_lghtpstl. Now scroll over to the default model and change it to w_lghtsbr_001 (for K1 at least, not sure about TSL). Save this in your override folder.

Under the Tools tab at the top of KotOR Tool, open up Options. Make sure that under Other, 'Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files' is checked. You should probably restart the KotOR Tool.

Now, you're going to creat an item for this. Under BIF's, go to templates.bif, and expand Blueprint, Item. Find g_w_blstrpstl001.uti. Double click on this to open up the item editor. Now, change the Template ResRef to g_w_lghtpstl001. Change this tag to this as well. Under Base Item, scroll down until you reach 'Saber Pistol.' Choose this. You can change the Description tab to whatever you like. save as g_w_lghtpstl001.uti in your override folder, and be sure to include the .uti extenstion.

Start your game, and type in giveitem g_w_lghtpstl001, and you should have a lightsaber pistol dual wield. It won't have a custom icon, but I can go over that it you'd like.

Thankyou so much, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the game to start, now... hmm...

Rather, it's starting, but it crashes when I try to load any saved file...

Houston, we have a problem.

Every time I run KE, it won't use files in the Override folder. It's there, I can open it directly from the folder, but I can't open KE first, double click "baseitems.2da" and have it run MY baseitems.2da. Any thoughts? Maybe a corrupt KE program?

But I'm thinking this is the issue. If I can't get KE to recognize it's there, I can't reference to it when making the actual blaster/lightsaber part.

About KT recognizing your files from override, well, KT won't open up your override folder basitems.2da, but what is does is it recognizes that there are new rows in it, so that you can change your weapons to the new row without a GFF editor.

You'll need to open the 2DA editor and load the one from your override.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Go over to the powereditem column (in Baseitems.2da), and change it from 0 to 1. Also change the powerupsnd to cb_ls_powerup, powerdownsnd to cb_ls_powerdown, and poweredsnd to cb_ls_humgood.

Save, and your lightsaber shall animate (hopefully).

I'm going to look for a cape mod, though I'll be fine if I can't find one. It'd probably have to be an arm item (like the grenade launcher) to keep the helmet on. Then my guy will look just like my avatar. :p Like I said, I'll be fine without it, this is great as is.

Archived