Home

Helping to once again promote adventure games

plamdi

No, because it has to be sent as an XML document (that is using the application/xml MIME type) ... IF you're only sending it as an HTML document then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use XHTML (as already stated, XHTML is a reformulation of HTML 4.01 in XML it is not HTML). The PHP function I wrote above basically does this:

1. Does client software accept XHTML?

IF YES -->

2. Does client software indicate a "q-vale" for it?

3. IF Yes then compare against HTML q-value if relevant, if No then assume XHTML is preferred.

I haven't tested it but I can't see why it wouldn't work (though keep in mind it has to be at the very top of your document before any data transmission has commenced).

There are definitely benefits to writing in strict XHTML: Validation will show that your code is better formed. Ie. properly nested, always have closing tags. I personally think this improves maintainability. HTML 4.01 is sloppy by comparison and maintaining code that's poorly written, but verified HTML 4.01, can be a nightmare.

That, in itself, is a very good reason that everyone should be writing in XHTML, if you ask me. It makes no difference to the designer or to the user if the file is sent via XML or not, provided the page is displayed as intended by the designer.

When I purchased SCUMMGAMES.NET it was a very spur of the moment impulse decision.

How am I going to use it?

To promote Adventure Games, primarily. Obviously not everything that I would like will be there initially, but I'm going to use it to (ultimately) 1. distribute freeware/shareware/demos/videos/tools... 2. track and promote new and developing adventure games, 3. provide access to other fan-pleasing material (for instance, shortly before or after MI:SE I will have created DVD artwork, so that everyone who purchases the game can print it, burn the game to disc and put it on their shelf).

But I'm also open to suggestions before I finalize the plan for the website. Any comments?

Oh, and as I'll be using an entirely CSS-based design (yes, I've completely switched to 100% CSS designing - no script, as little html "structure" as is possible) I'm just starting with a simple design that I know I can completely change later very easily - because I think it's more important to get the content complete.

This is going to be good. You need to put a forum on it (If there isnt one already) and I think every good website should have walkthroughs and reviews.

Archived