Home

Extremely strange leaks.

ZeBoXeS

I am currently trying to make a map for my clan, but recently I am running into some very strange leaks. I have even tried closing the whole map into a cube, but still there are leaks! I am desperate, and I hope someone here can help me.

One of the leaks just passes straight through a caulked wall. Another one passes through the grass in the gardens area. I am slightly experienced in mapping, but so far I've not understood ONE of the leaks that my map is suffering from. I'ts been making me rip my hair from my head.

If it is of any help, I use GTKRadiant 1.5

Also, please do note that my map is quite large, is it possible that GTKRadiant is interpreting the large, empty spaces as part of the void? If so, is there any way to possibly fix this?

Please respond, I have nowhere else to turn to. :(

• 2 weeks later...

It is extremely strange. If I delete everything in the map the leak is happening on, and simply make a cube with a info_player_deathmatch and light entity, it leaks, passing through the walls. However, if I open a new project and do the same thing, It compiles without a problem. Before you ask: I tried copy and pasting the map into a new file, however that didn't work.

I'm starting to think that it is a GTKRadiant bug, and I should try out GTK 1.4, but I'm unsure wether this would resolve anything.

I am fairly certain that the map I am making is not affecting the leaks... It just makes no sense! Its as if GTKRadiant just WANTS the leak. Even by enclosing it in a square... nothing!!

Here are a few pictures anyways:

27wyvj4.jpg

In this picture you can clearly see there's a problem. The first light entity is highlighted, but a completely different light is starting the leak! (Check top right)

4j23ix.jpg

Here you can see the leak passing through the walls of the clanmap. Please do note that I actually placed a caulked wall behind the curves, as you can see in the top left image.

2enc4dy.jpg

Here you can see the curve clearly passing through the wall and returning inside, however, it is just beneath the floor, passing through the entire strip of ground there is...

2nh2vbk.jpg

The leak passes through almost half the map before leaving into the unfinished parts of it.

24xdyf4.jpg

Overhead view of the entire map. You can clearly see the leak's movement.

2ywh2s5.jpg

3D overhead view of my map.

Try going to View -> Filter -> Details (placing a checkmark by it by clicking it)

This should filter all Detail brushes and allow you to see if you accidentally made outside structural brushes into a detail. This would of course, leak the map.

Otherwise, you could try hiding all the entities and copying the geometry to a new map to see if that helps narrow it down to an entity problem.

When you say 1.4 I assume you mean y ou are using 1.5, and I dunno if there are any bugs in it as I haven't messed with 1.5 at all. It's possible there was a bug in it that borked your map file or something, but there are some more things to try before we get that far.

Thanks for the help, however the problem lay somewhere else. I accidentally added an extra value to a brush, to go along with Worldspawn. This affected every brush and made them act weird. Instead of just being worldspawn, it was like this:

classname worldspawn

origin 9.457 10375.7 16

I simply took away the origin, and now it's working fine! To any mappers who are experiencing the same problem, please remember to check your brushes for any extra values aside from worldspawn.

Many thanks anyhow!

Archived