Home

Problem Applying New Texture to New Models

capnnerefir

As some may know, I'm currently working on a mod to replace all of your party members with new ones (except for Carth and Bastila, as removing them would be too difficult). This mod requires me creating several custom heads. I've made my heads just fine, but I seem to be encountering an issue when attempting to apply a new texture to them.

Instead of applying my texture (which I have in .tga format and named exactly the same as the appropriate .mdl and .mdx files) to the models, KOTOR is instead using the original texture that I later modified and renamed. This is happening with all of my head models.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is happening. The references in my appearance and heads.2da files refer to the proper model names, and all of the necessary references in the character's .utc files refer to the correct .2da entries. Is there something I am forgetting to edit?

With my head models, my only issue is that it is applying the original skin and not the one I made for the model. And for the body models I made, the bodies are just black.

That doesn't work as the default head texture is specified by the model, only the darkside transitions use the Heads.2da file.

You have to hex edit the model to use a different texture (well that's what I do) using a freeware hex editor called XVI32 I open the characters head mdl use the find and replace option to replace any occurrences of the original model name with the new name of the model/texture.

That doesn't work as the default head texture is specified by the model, only the darkside transitions use the Heads.2da file.

You have to hex edit the model to use a different texture (well that's what I do) using a freeware hex editor called XVI32 I open the characters head mdl use the find and replace option to replace any occurrences of the original model name with the new name of the model/texture.

Thanks for the help. I got the hex editing done properly, I think. Unfortunately, I seem to be encountering another problem, the source of which I cannot identify. The head seems to be sending...well...beams of light...off randomly, which really obstruct things. I'm not sure what's causing this, as I've complied and recompiled the model several times, always with the same result. I didn't even make any changes to the original model, just saved it under a new name and performed the necessary hex editing. It appears in the right place; the only problem is these weird bits of color shooting off. What might be causing this?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8176/problem01.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2333/problem02.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/884/problem03.jpg

Hmm I'm not too sure on why it would do that, as in theory it should only change the model base name and texture name.

Which head are you editing maybe I could have a try on my machine.

*EDIT*Try editing the hex of the model without decompiling it, just extracting it.*EDIT*

Archived