Home

DFMOD and Steam version of JK:JA

shadez3

I downloaded and installed the mod after buying the Steam collection because I remember the mod from back in 08 on my old machine.

But when I try to launch the mod, I'm missing key graphics, notably the "Abort" or "Next" for missions.

All briefing text is missing as well, but I do see the red computer chip that rotates.

I've redownloaded the 6 level demo twice and its the same.

Am I missing a key step for the Steam Installation

Shadez

Missing strings, huh?

It's a common error, most likely caused by JA's in-built mod-launching feature. Make sure you launch the mod from a batch file or a shortcut.

Batch file (write in notepad, save as .bat in gamedata directory):

jasp +set sv_pure 0 +set fs_game dfmod

Shortcut (create shortcut to jasp.exe)

"C:\Games\Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" "C:\Games\Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" "C:\Games\Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

Once you do this, all the strings will load correctly. Make sure you do this for all the mods you can - I encountered the same errors when I used the in-build launcher for OJP, Forcemod III, and Escape from Yavin IV - and indeed my own JAE.

That's also a stock JA bug, though it occurs more frequently with DFMod. You should be able to fix it with either 'playermodel player' or 'playermodel kyle' - though they may also give you force powers. You can remove these if they do show up with 'setforceall 0', though I don't know what to do if you get a lightsaber.

You'll end up with a lightsaber on about half the demo missions anyway (so it's especially easy to cheat :)). I'm trying to correct that bug for the next release but I haven't tackled it yet due to mapping issues. It'd be nice to check out how Raven disabled the lightsaber for the one level where you're captured and stripped of all your weapons.

Archived