Home

Aliens vs Predator

jonathan7

So... I finally caved and bought a new game (it was my birthday after-all :xp: ) I'm sure mimartin will be appalled I chose this over ME2 or DA, however, I've always been a massive fan of Alien, Aliens and both Predator films; the less said about The AvP films the better for they are truly awful, and everyone involved should apologise for them.

I remember the old Aliens vs Predator games released by Rebellion back in 1999, and the AvP 2 in 02' - both were excellent games and very scary; especially when your 14... Less so when your 17.

So I bought the new AvP, I played the demo, and was quite impressed with it, so bought the full game. One annoyance is having to have steam to run the game, and then the very slow install speed; which I must confess made me a bit angry.

As for the game itself I have greatly enjoyed playing through the Alien campaign so far, I've messed around in both Predator and Marine mode and enjoyed the two of them. The game didn't get the best of reviews; apparently the graphics weren't great, though so far I've thought them superb; the controls have been criticised, but I was left puzzled that reviewers hadn't just re-mapped the keys which is the first think I do with any game. All in all the game is fun, and some of the kill moves for the alien are good; the Predator can do the full trophy move; which I have to say is very cool :D The marine is by far the "scariest" to play, and that campaign so far has very much played along the "survival horror" genre.

One of the strongest aspects of all the AvP games, is the ability to play from 3 very different perspectives, which makes it a lot more entertaining than the average shooter. The marine being the classic shooter variety; predators are much more tactual, and being an alien is all about sneak factor...

Anyway, thats my thoughts :)

What's it like in terms of blood and gore? It sounds really cool but I can't get any games with too much of that kind of stuff.

Personally I don't think its too bad, though the Predator and Alien kill moves are exactly the same as the movies. So you can rip a mans head off as the Predator (to collect the skull as a trophy); you do see chestbursters bursting from chests too; in terms of games it is pretty gory. But nothing that would scar anyone, it is rated 18 in the UK.

It's pretty gory.

I went ahead and got it off steam because I liked the original AvP1/2 games, and it's pretty awesome so far. I started playing the Marine campaign, but I immediately **** my pants. Plus, I was annoyed with having to take down xenomorphs with a freaking pistol in the beginning. I died too many times with that crap.

So I moved on to the Alien campaign and had loads of fun, and when I had to, played the Predator campaign.

So it seems like it boils down to:

Marines - standard sci-fi shooter

Aliens - sneaking and ambushing, can't take too much punishment

Predator - stealthy and badass. Can take on a group of aliens or humans.

The only annoying thing for me at the moment is having to manually launch the game in DirectX 9 mode. If I start the game with the shortcut steam creates, the game will stutter and hang up a lot. I'll have to see if it's possible to edit the shortcut to launch in DX9 mode.

I haven't played multiplayer yet. I don't even know what modes there are. I think the game page on steam mentioned co-op? If anyone wants to play some AvP, give me a jingle on steam.

It's pretty gory.

I went ahead and got it off steam because I liked the original AvP1/2 games, and it's pretty awesome so far. I started playing the Marine campaign, but I immediately **** my pants. Plus, I was annoyed with having to take down xenomorphs with a freaking pistol in the beginning. I died too many times with that crap.

Aye the Marine beginning is annoying; I'm not a fan of being a rookie either... Why couldn't we be a hardcore veteran??

I'm only playing through the Alien at the moment, I've just experimented with the other two; though in the original games the Predator was my favourite species to play as.

I haven't played multiplayer yet. I don't even know what modes there are. I think the game page on steam mentioned co-op? If anyone wants to play some AvP, give me a jingle on steam.

If theres a co-op mode I could be persuaded into going onto Steam, I'm not a fan of death matches, taking on hoards of Aliens as Predators or Marines, would be pretty sweet in co-op methinks! I'll give you a tinkle once I've finished the various campaigns...

Archived