Home

CRC Error: CREDITS.LAB, DATA001.LAB...

razmatazzz

Hi,

I'm a little frustrated. After buying and playing the Monkey Island Special Editions I wanted to play Grim Fandango again and took my original Game CDs and tried to install the game on my Windows 7 64-Bit computer.

Of course it didn't work with the normal installer and so I tried to use the Mixnmojo installer. This installer prompted me with errors that the CREDITS.LAB, DATA001.LAB, DATA003.LAB created a CRC Error and I couldn't complete the installation.

I tried to copy the files directly from CD to HDD like mentioned in the How-To sticky thread.

But I get the same error that the files are corrupt! :/

I have the original german version of the game with two CDs and I played the game already when I bought the game back in 1999. There are no scratches on the CD and I tried it on my computer with Win7 and on a laptop with WinXP.

Is this really a problem with the CD or with the drives? How can it be that I get these errors even if the CD shows no scratches or anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, raz

This has been occurring for many people for many years, including myself. I'm not sure what actually causes it since typically only physical damage to the CDs ought to be responsible for files becoming corrupted, yet I know for sure I didn't particularly mistreat my CDs.

It could be that the original CDs were manufactured quite poorly and degrade/damage faster/easier than is normal (all CDs have a shelf life but it's meant to be extremely long), or perhaps there's some strange Windows problem at the root of it — but whatever causes it the only solution anyone seems to have found is to install the game to the hard drive and then somehow acquire copies of the corrupted files from elsewhere.

Maybe someone can help you with this, or maybe you have your own means of getting hold of them. If not I'd recommend looking into the re-release as from what I gather similar problems haven't been reported with that, and I myself have had a re-release version for many years that hasn't played up like my original boxed CD version did. You can still get the English version relatively easily, the German version may be trickier though. :(

Hello Thrik,

thanks for your answer.

I can rule out the possibility of CD damages as well. The CDs are in perfect condition.

The files which are corrupted are the biggest files on the CD so I don't think someone is able to send them to me.

It seems that the only way to get hold of Grim Fandango in a legal way is to buy another copy. That's really disappointing!

Thanks, Regards - raz

Archived