Home

[Kotor II: TSL] In-Game Video Resolution Difficulties

13ack.Stab

Hey, guys.

I'm having a fair amount of trouble with the resolution of in-game movies in TSL: though I am running the game with a 1600x1200 resolution, the movies always play at 640x480, without fail. As a result, I get a little goofy box in the middle of my screen; it's so small that I have difficulty understanding what is going on.

The following image is an example of the above:

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/twod.png/

Whenever I open the video manually (outside of the game), I get the following:

http://img828.imageshack.us/i/oney.png/

Clearly, the image is larger than the video being displayed.

Finally, when I run the game in non-fullscreen, I get the following:

http://img826.imageshack.us/i/threeq.png/

Therefore, the error lies with the game's fullscreen mode. I absolutely do not want to play the game in non-fullscreen, however, so I am looking for another method for fixing this error.

Here is my configuration file (sans keybindings):

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1                      <-- This option seemingly does nothing.
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640                         <-- Changing this to 1600
Height=480                        <-- and this to 1200 did absolutely nothing.
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Graphics Options]
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=2
Frame Buffer=1
Anti Aliasing=4
Texture Quality=2
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=1
Brightness=57
RefreshRate=60
Height=1200
Width=1600
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1                      <-- This option changed the game to
                                     fullscreen; the above one did nothing.
[Game Options]
UnlockedPlanetSongs=1
Enable Tooltips=1
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
TextureVariation=0
BodyVariation=0
AppearanceType=0
PCGender=0
GameCompleted=0
CurSithLord=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Hide Unequippable=0
Tutorial Popups=1
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=44
Difficulty Level=1
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Reverse Ingame YAxis=0
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
TooltipDelay Sec=1

[Autopause Options]
End Of Combat Round=0
Mine Sighted=0
Enemy Sighted=1
Party Killed=1
Action Menu=0
New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]
Movie10=0
Movie 9=0
Movie 8=0
Movie 7=0
Movie 6=0
Movie 5=0
Movie 4=0
Movie 3=0
Movie 2=0
Movie 1=0
Movie 0=4

Notes:

I get this error both with and without the high-quality movie patch for TSL.

I am currently running version 1.0b, and the Restored Content Mod installed; I have this issue both with and without the mod, so it isn't the source of the issue.

My basic specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Processor: Intel Core i7 940XM Quad Core Processor (2.13 GHz)

Memory: 8 GB DDR3 1666 MHz

Video Card: 2x 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5870

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

-13ack.Stab

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmm.....

What is your resolution set to in the in-game configurator. I cannot recall if 1600x1200 is a "normal" resolution for KotOR/TSL... I generally play on 1280x720 or something like that, even though my monitor is 1600ishx1050. Without the widescreen hack, it is better to stick to "normal"/offered resolutions.

The "Fullscreen" option is the games default, it really shouldn't need to be tweaked unless you want to run in windowed mode, which then requires AllowWindowedMode=1 or something like that.

Have you downloaded BINK and tried to watch the movies outside of the game with that? Just a thought, it would be interesting if they played normally and at correct size outside of the game environment.

Look at the thread by kittykitty (IIRC) called something very much like "Useful features of swkotor.ini", I thing D333 also has some contribution and helpful insight on the .ini topic. Having the FullScreen=1 in two places in the .ini may be not helpful as well.

Also, have you tried any of the ATI "fixes" for KotOR, such as the ATI Tools? Unfortunately, ATI dislikes KotOR in that their cards have never really worked perfectly and in some cases AT ALL with the games :(

Last thought - make sure that you have made the main swkotor2 folder as a writable folder. Do it as an admin!! Un-tick the Read-Only option under folder properties, apply changes to all subfolders, then check that the changes were actually applied to the sub-folders (Windows never works the way it tells you it will :carms: ). Then do a Windows search for the filename "swkotor2.ini" and see how many of those pop up. There should be only one, and it should be in the swkotor2 folder, but Vista/7 have a nasty habit of putting duplicated in strange places, notably the Users/Application Data folder. If there are dupes, the game can get confused quite easily, as Windows may be forcing it to look for the hidden file that you have not edited.

Sorry to have little to help ya, but I will think on it.

Nice rig by the way... bet that set ya back a bit :D

EDIT: Reading another help thread, ZM posted this in the widescreen thread, but it might be helpful for you as well:

Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties. Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry. In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked.

Thanks for your response; sorry that I took so long to get back to you. I've been really busy.

Hmmmmm.....

What is your resolution set to in the in-game configurator. I cannot recall if 1600x1200 is a "normal" resolution for KotOR/TSL... I generally play on 1280x720 or something like that, even though my monitor is 1600ishx1050. Without the widescreen hack, it is better to stick to "normal"/offered resolutions.

1600x1200 is a regular, in-game resolution. I do not use a resolution hack.

The "Fullscreen" option is the games default, it really shouldn't need to be tweaked unless you want to run in windowed mode, which then requires AllowWindowedMode=1 or something like that.

I know, but the movies will play at the correct size if I'm not in fullscreen. It's just something that I noticed. I refuse to play the game in windowed mode. :)

Have you downloaded BINK and tried to watch the movies outside of the game with that? Just a thought, it would be interesting if they played normally and at correct size outside of the game environment.

Of course. If you look at my first post, I linked three different screenshots: in-game, fullscreen; in-game, windowed; outside-of-game, BINK tools.

The videos play correctly outside of the game and in windowed mode.

Look at the thread by kittykitty (IIRC) called something very much like "Useful features of swkotor.ini", I thing D333 also has some contribution and helpful insight on the .ini topic. Having the FullScreen=1 in two places in the .ini may be not helpful as well.

I removed the FullScreen=1 under Display Options. I'll take a look into the .ini topic.

Also, have you tried any of the ATI "fixes" for KotOR, such as the ATI Tools? Unfortunately, ATI dislikes KotOR in that their cards have never really worked perfectly and in some cases AT ALL with the games :(

Word. No, I haven't tried any of the fixes; I'll go see if I can find some.

Last thought - make sure that you have made the main swkotor2 folder as a writable folder. Do it as an admin!! Un-tick the Read-Only option under folder properties, apply changes to all subfolders, then check that the changes were actually applied to the sub-folders (Windows never works the way it tells you it will :carms: ). Then do a Windows search for the filename "swkotor2.ini" and see how many of those pop up. There should be only one, and it should be in the swkotor2 folder, but Vista/7 have a nasty habit of putting duplicated in strange places, notably the Users/Application Data folder. If there are dupes, the game can get confused quite easily, as Windows may be forcing it to look for the hidden file that you have not edited.

I checked: it's not read-only, and I only have one swkotor2.ini file.

Sorry to have little to help ya, but I will think on it.

Nice rig by the way... bet that set ya back a bit :D

You've been plenty helpful! Let me go explore the leads you gave me.

EDIT: Reading another help thread, ZM posted this in the widescreen thread, but it might be helpful for you as well:

Navigate to your SWKotOR2 folder but don't go inside it. Right click and select properties. Then navigate to the security tab and click the Administrators entry. In the permissions box you should have Full Control checked.

I checked: I already have full control.

Thanks again.

Regards,

-13ack.Stab

I wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same issue, however I am using the Widescreen "Patch": http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202242. My resolution is 1680 x 1050.

With KOTOR 1, the movies would play, albeit a little blown up so they looked pixelated, at my native resolution. With KOTOR 2, they're a little box, even with the high-quality versions. Windowed mode plays the movies big, fullscreen does not.

I've messed about with the .ini a bit, and nothing seems to take hold. Google so far has given me zip, aside from learning others have the same issue. ; )

???? Not sure !!!!

The only stone it seems you have potentially not turned is the ati tray tool/ atigl0xxx.dll (not sure about the exact name of the .dll).

Well, I run with a Nvidia 8800 GTS, so not sure if the ATI fixes will apply to me. Luckily the movies don't carry huge plot points within them, and I can always view them with the BINK player.;)

@ Esoteric_Monk: I was referring to the OP. However, I can say with some certainty that if you are having an issue with movies with your setup, it is due to the Hack.

ZimmMaster has a helpful thread in this subforum for issues with the Widescreen hack.

Out of curiosity, what native screen resolution do you have, E_M? Would you not be better off using a native resolution from the stock game? Use one that matches the ratio that you have. I honestly have never understood the benefit to using a patched .exe - they always seem to cause more problems than they solve :(

@ Esoteric_Monk: I was referring to the OP.

Ha, a few hours after posting this I came to that realization.:thmbup1:

However, I can say with some certainty that if you are having an issue with movies with your setup, it is due to the Hack.

ZimmMaster has a helpful thread in this subforum for issues with the Widescreen hack.

That's the funny thing, with KOTOR1, the widescreen hack blew up the movies. I figured with the high res versions in KOTOR2, I should be OK. If the ZimmerMaster thread you speak of is this one, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202242, then I've already seen it, as that's where I got my start.:)

Out of curiosity, what native screen resolution do you have, E_M? Would you not be better off using a native resolution from the stock game? Use one that matches the ratio that you have. I honestly have never understood the benefit to using a patched .exe - they always seem to cause more problems than they solve :(

My native resolution is 1650 x 1080, but there wasn't a choice for that in the stock KOTOR2. Actually, the highest res for KOTOR2 that I saw was 1024 x 768, which was surprising. If I play it at that resolution, then I have a small box in the middle of my screen to see the action; not very entertaining, as you may imagine.;)

Ha, a few hours after posting this I came to that realization.:thmbup1:

That's the funny thing, with KOTOR1, the widescreen hack blew up the movies. I figured with the high res versions in KOTOR2, I should be OK. If the ZimmerMaster thread you speak of is this one, http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202242, then I've already seen it, as that's where I got my start.:)

My native resolution is 1650 x 1080, but there wasn't a choice for that in the stock KOTOR2. Actually, the highest res for KOTOR2 that I saw was 1024 x 768, which was surprising. If I play it at that resolution, then I have a small box in the middle of my screen to see the action; not very entertaining, as you may imagine.;)

Here is what I posted in my hack thread:

I encounter this myself running the hack at 1920x1080 resolution. As far as I know, this is NOT caused by the hack. It is a restriction with the movies. Let me explain:

The game's movies are natively 640x480 resolution. What the movie patches do is raise the resolution up to 1600x1200. Which is the game's highest native resolution. In order to see the movie patches in game your resolution has to be at least 1600x1200. In yours and my cases, we don't meet that requirement. It is a common mistake that took me a while to figure out.

Required res: 1600x1200

Your res: 1680x1050

My res: 1920x1080

You see now? Our width values meet the requirement, but our height values do not. It sucks, yes I know, but I'm not aware of anything that can be done.

• 1 year later...

Archived