Home

Black screen in game, no models in set up?

Chloe Ze Übermensch

Hi all.

I recently installed KOTOR 2. Having started up and began to play, I noticed Darth Sion wasn't standing where he should have been. Further on, I saw that the models for the character generation page weren't there (seen in this link: http://img534.imageshack.us/f/safdka.jpg/) I thought nothing of it and moved onto the game, whereupon I was met with a black screen. The subtitles still show up, and i get the occasional flicker of green, but generally just black.

My specs are well above what's required to run the game, by the way.

Any help appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

And now for the obligatory canned response.

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

And please specify which version of Windows you are using because the game can't ID anything newer than XP.

And now for the obligatory canned response.

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

And please specify which version of Windows you are using because the game can't ID anything newer than XP.

Sorry about that. My specs are:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=08/03/2011 10:05:46

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.420

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 3

Service Pack=Service Pack 3

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=250

D:\pagefile.sys=250

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2793

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=6

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=129.24GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B,HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

[Video]

Video Card Name=ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series

Video Memory=256

Desktop Resolution=1920x1200x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.8545 Release

OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Renderer=ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series

Vid Card Status=Pass

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (26xxx)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

[config]

firstrun=0

And I'm using XP 32-bit.

OK, it's actually good in this case that you've got an older ATI card and are using XP, as there is a better chance of fixing this. We'll start off with a couple of simple fixes to see if that helps before we move on to something more complex. Both of these fixes should be done no matter what else you end up having to do to get your game running.

First, you'll need to do the Dantooine lag fix:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini"), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

Second, since you have a dual-core CPU, you're going to have to set core affinity (assign the game to a single core) every time you launch the game. How I do it is to open Task Manager (right-click on the Taskbar at the bottom of Windows' desktop and select "Task Manager") and click on the "Processes" tab. Check the "Show processes for all users" box if it isn't already and then launch the game. Once you get to the game's main menu, hit the Windows key to get back to the desktop and look for the game's executable (swkotor2.exe) in the Task Manager under the "Processes" tab. When you find it, right click on it, select "set affinity" and uncheck every box but "CPU 0" and hit "OK". Once you've done that, just hit the game's icon in the Taskbar and you should be good to go. Remember that you'll have to set CPU affinity like this every time you launch the game.

OK, it's actually good in this case that you've got an older ATI card and are using XP, as there is a better chance of fixing this. We'll start off with a couple of simple fixes to see if that helps before we move on to something more complex. Both of these fixes should be done no matter what else you end up having to do to get your game running.

First, you'll need to do the Dantooine lag fix:

Second, since you have a dual-core CPU, you're going to have to set core affinity (assign the game to a single core) every time you launch the game. How I do it is to open Task Manager (right-click on the Taskbar at the bottom of Windows' desktop and select "Task Manager") and click on the "Processes" tab. Check the "Show processes for all users" box if it isn't already and then launch the game. Once you get to the game's main menu, hit the Windows key to get back to the desktop and look for the game's executable (swkotor2.exe) in the Task Manager under the "Processes" tab. When you find it, right click on it, select "set affinity" and uncheck every box but "CPU 0" and hit "OK". Once you've done that, just hit the game's icon in the Taskbar and you should be good to go. Remember that you'll have to set CPU affinity like this every time you launch the game.

Tried all that, it still isn't working, though during the tutorial part I could see sparks.

OK, I was afraid of that. It looks like you're going to have to download and install older drivers for your graphics card. I wanted to avoid this because it's a time-consuming PITA, but it's probably the best chance of getting the game to run.

Start by downloading and installing Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. Then download an old ATI Catalyst driver package. If memory serves, while ATI cards have traditionally had problems with the KotOR games, they really started with the arrival of the DX10 cards in 2007, so let's try the last version of Catalyst 6 from December 2006 just to be safe. It should work fine with your card.

Now for the PITA part. To uninstall your present drivers, go to Start<Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs and look for "ATI Catalyst Control Center" (or "Control Panel" or whatever) and "ATI graphics drivers". Uninstall the Catalyst Control Center, and if it asks you to reboot, decline and uninstall the drivers as well. Then reboot, but tap F8 continuously as soon as you see the BIOS POST screen to get into the windows boot options menu. Choose "Safe Mode" and login using the Administrator account. When you get to the desktop a window will pop up. Choose "yes" to continue running in Safe Mode.

Once everything is loaded, run Driver Sweeper (Start>All Programs>Phyxion.net), check "ATI display" and click "Analyze". A list of files with check boxes next to them will appear. Make sure that every box is checked and click "Clean". It will then ask you to reboot, but click "no", exit Driver Sweeper, Then run it again and repeat the process in case it left anything behind.

When asked to reboot, hit "no" again and run CCleaner (Start>All Programs>CCleaner). Click the "Registry" button and then click the "Scan for Issues" button. Once it's done scanning, click "Fix Selected Issues" and it will ask if you want to backup the registry. Click "yes", then navigate the save menu to "My Computer" and choose the "Shared Documents" folder. Make a new folder there called "Registry Backup" and save the backup file in it. It can be found there from any user account should it be needed. Just double-click on it to restore the registry back to the way it was if you need to. Now click "Fix All Selected Issues" and when it's done hit "Exit" then close CCleaner and reboot; this time normally.

When you get to the desktop, run the driver package that you downloaded and install it. You'll probably have to reboot again once it's installed and you may have to set your desktop resolution manually to match your monitor's.

Now, it looks like you've got a high-resolution monitor and it's widescreen to boot, but KotOR2 does support 1280x768 natively by hacking the swkotor.ini file so that it looks like this (changes in bold):

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1280

Height=768

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=8

Voiceover Volume=14

Sound Effects Volume=8

Movie Volume=14

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=3

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

Height=768

Width=1280

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Make sure that FullScreen=1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] and keep the Dantooine lag fix as well. Then save and exit.

Now, at long last, you can try to run the game. Don't forget to set CPU affinity to a single core after you get to the main menu.

Archived