Home

Complete Crash After Opening Movie

Theylas

Hi, I'm Theylas, I'm an avid reader but a lousy poster on this Forum, and I'm familiar with most everything concerning KotOR I & II.

The reason for this post is, obviously, a crash... as listed above for KotOR II. I cannot play the game at all after the Opening Movie. I hear a slight beep from T3 like it should start for the prologue, and then a crash followed by Windows telling me TSL has stopped working and they are searching for a solution.

I have tried nigh unto everything to fix this.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit on a Laptop, and have run KotOR II before on this machine with great success. I have never run into this issue before. To attempt a fix, I have tried the following.

-System Restore

-New version of DirectX

-New/Updated Graphics Driver

-Adjusting all graphics/sound settings everywhere on the game

-Replacing the Mss.dll file with the "Vista Fix"

-Re-installing multiple times

-Installing on another computer (works on that one) and then copying the files over

-Installing to a different file location

-Using a different form of swkotorII.exe

-Crying/begging/pleading (no effect)

All attempts have given me the same product: a KotOR II that runs fine up through the opening movie:( and then crashes.

If anyone has run into this before/has any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears. The logical step after this, would be to re-install windows over it, but I have lost my Windows 7 installation CD and can't do that:( I've moved around a bunch and it hasn't made it out with me.

Help Lucasforums, you're my only hope... Help me Lucasforums, you're my only hope...

First, if you managed to run KOTOR 2 in the same machine without problems, then something was changed. What changed? Did you change the OS?

Second, post your system specs. Run swconfig.exe, there is a button named "Check System Requirements", or something like that. There should be an option to save it to a log, I don't remember, but it's pretty obvious. Then the archive swinfo.txt should appear in your KOTOR 2 folder, it is the log, copy and paste it here without the key mapping.

First, if you managed to run KOTOR 2 in the same machine without problems, then something was changed. What changed? Did you change the OS?

Second, post your system specs. Run swconfig.exe, there is a button named "Check System Requirements", or something like that. There should be an option to save it to a log, I don't remember, but it's pretty obvious. Then the archive swinfo.txt should appear in your KOTOR 2 folder, it is the log, copy and paste it here without the key mapping.

I don't know what has changed, my efforts at restoration and control have been unable to tell me. I would attempt to fix whatever had changed, if I could. Till then, here are my specs.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=3/10/2011 8:19:03 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2094

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=7

CPUStepping=10

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=4032

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=302.98GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=7.92GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=F:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA10N ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1440x900x32 @ 61Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2281

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@wdma_usb.inf,%usb\class_01.devicedesc%;USB Audio Device

Status=Pass

The log says that it's Windows XP SP2, but you say that it's Windows 7. I don't understand, could you explain?

The processor is dual core... You could try to disable a core in the BIOS settings as the computer starts up or you could set affinity to swkotor2.exe use only one core. Though that isn't the main problem.

The main problem is: Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Lower ALL settings in the main menu. Don't reinstall Windows. First, right-click on the desktop, choose "Graphics Properties", or anything that will lead you to the video card settings, 3D Configurations, set flipping policy to 'Blit' and disable asynchronous flip.

If that doesn't help... Put the Dantooine lag fix in "Graphics Options" in swkotor2.ini. It's Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1, and put it as the first line of Graphics Options.

And if that STILL doesn't help, I don't know.

The log says that it's Windows XP SP2, but you say that it's Windows 7. I don't understand, could you explain?

The processor is dual core... You could try to disable a core in the BIOS settings as the computer starts up or you could set affinity to swkotor2.exe use only one core. Though that isn't the main problem.

The main problem is: Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Lower ALL settings in the main menu. Don't reinstall Windows. First, right-click on the desktop, choose "Graphics Properties", or anything that will lead you to the video card settings, 3D Configurations, set flipping policy to 'Blit' and disable asynchronous flip.

If that doesn't help... Put the Dantooine lag fix in "Graphics Options" in swkotor2.ini. It's Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1, and put it as the first line of Graphics Options.

And if that STILL doesn't help, I don't know.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it may just be impossible to fix : /. I have done Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1, didn't help. I want to try setting flipping policy to "blit" but in the new driver for the chipset series there isn't an option for that in the "3D" menu (the shiny blue and black one, as seen in a screenshot in the thread below this one).

If anyone can shed some light on how to manage "blit" with the new menu that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really at a loss here...:(

We can see if it's disabled. Have you played KOTOR? Did you have a crash at the Taris Undercity or Dantooine? If yes, did you fix that? How? If no, then it's set to "Blit" or doesn't have a problem with Flipping Policy.

And did you disable the other core for swkotor2.exe?

We can see if it's disabled. Have you played KOTOR? Did you have a crash at the Taris Undercity or Dantooine? If yes, did you fix that? How? If no, then it's set to "Blit" or doesn't have a problem with Flipping Policy.

And did you disable the other core for swkotor2.exe?

No, there was no crash in Taris or Dantooine, I just played through KotOR and it worked fine.

I tried playing with only one core, didn't help.

Well then... No problem with Flipping Policy. That's not really good to help solving this... error. And everything okay with the processor core. Too bad, out of bounds... I can't help. Probably someone with more knowledge can help. Don't expect to solve this problem, it's very common and bad.

Before going through all of that again, try using the old swkotor2.exe instead of the updated one from SecuROM, like initmanjak did.

If you replaced it instead of renaming or moving it, I'm pretty sure that you can just run the patch again.

I tried it with the updated SecuRom .exe and with the regular .exe, and the problem persists. Is there any information as to what is the root cause of this type of problem?

Is it just because of Intel Chipset series graphical display errors? Is it a flaw in Win 7 compatibility? What kind of error is really at the root of this, or is it unknown?

I tried the re-install as well, and it didn't work.

:(

It most likely has to do with Intel's Windows 7 drivers for the mobile series 4 chipset, but, since I don't have that hardware myself, finding a definitive fix has been problematic to say the least.

Could you please post the hardware scan report like you did before, only with everything before keymapping? I need to see your .ini settings.

• 1 year later...

I've been scouring the internet for solutions to this problem...

I had installed the game from the discs and played through it with zero problems on a Windows 7 notebook. After uninstalling the game, I re-installed it from an ISO file and launched from a crack. Everything ran smoothly until the opening scene right after the character creation, which was constantly interrupted by a "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has stopped working" error. I have tried every solution I've come across, to no avail. This problem seems unfixable, and even more frustrating is the fact that I can't figure out where the problem lies...

It's a shame because, other than Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, this was my favorite Star Wars game :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

His problem was that he was using a crack. From my post in the Vista thread:

As far as I know, the no-CD crack for KotOR 2 will not work on chipsets with an Intel GPU.

Archived