Home

My opinion on the video game industry

Taak Farst

60 hours, eh? That's a sure sign of commitment. :xp: Seriously, though, I completely agree that the games have gotten better, at least visually if nothing else.

^Yeah the animation in today's games looks so fringin' real. Big difference from the games I played when I was a kid. Definite better animation above anything else.

As far as my opinion on the video game industry is concerned, well nothing they've put out so far has made me want to quit buying and playing games. I think the games keep getting better IMO, of course I'm into everything except MMOs. So maybe that's why I don't get tired or lose interest in them.

I'm not sure there is anything disastrously wrong with the gaming industry, or at least nothing that isn't being fixed. For a long while I thought the increasing cost of making games was killing innovation (if you have to sell a million to make a profit, you don't take risks), but digital distribution seems to be taking care of that. If you have a good idea for a game and is willing to spend evenings after work making that game, digital distribution gives you a way to sell it. Sure, we probably won't go back to the time were risky ideas got turned into games with top of the line graphics and polish, but that's a small price to pay (in my opinion) for the sheer number of games and ideas being produced right now. I don't think games have ever been filled with more innovation than now, it just isn't in the AAA titles.

There's plenty of RPG's out now that innovative: Din's Curse, Mount&Blade, Hinterlands etc

Sure, they aren't AAA, but they are fun, and hopefully their game mechanicswill be pinched by AAA developers once they are proven to work.

Archived