Home

Anyone else experienceing trouble with Secret of monkey island?

It's off the topic, but, I am having the same problem with Sam & Max. Nothing works, including running in DOS. For some reason, when it goes to the sound setup utility, it flashes and launches the game, but, before it gets there it says, "Failed to initiate sound drivers." Obvious.

Any help?

Some sound cards have DOS problems, and you should go to their website to see if there are DOS drivers for your sound. Also try running the game in DOS mode.

------------------

I got three heads...where are your other two?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've had that problem with Sam & Max and also MI2 for about 4 years now. I've just adapted to the games without music or voices. It definitely sux, though.

------------------

"That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!"

-Guybrush Threepwood

Guest El Pollo Diablo

lechuck

have yo tried going to system, device manager, soud and stuff sblaster live, synth options and degrade the sblive to 64 and then run config sound on sama and max then play

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Monkey Island Madness CD, and for some reason I can't hear ANY of the music for SMI. Sure MI2 works just fine, but nothing works for the other. Plus, the CMI cutscenes won't play on my computer (thank God there's another in the house). Unless I ESC out of them REALLY quickly the whole thing freezes up and I have to restart it. Does anyone know what that's about?

------------------

Monkey_Girl

I am the queen of all monkies! Bow down before me! BWAHAHAHAHA!!...I said bow!...Hey I'm serious!...BOW!...Stop that giggling!

Here's what I would do:

1) Yoda's help desk

if that doesn't help

2) Pure dos

3) Sound Config (Old LEC games obviously don't support SB Live). Sound Card: Sound Blaster 16. Check your midi ports, irq adresses and anything possible and enter them manually (NO auto detect ! It never works). Or just guess them. Trial and error: I finally got Sam & Max working correctly after 2 hours. Try settings that you would never try ! They might just work: like using Adlib instead of SB 16.

MI1 and 2 don't support General Midi, so even though there would be no errors, music might sound "strange" (like in my computer).

5) Buy a second, old sound card (or borrow one from a friend - friends always have more sound cards than they need) and use it whenever playing old games (sound control panel - > preferred sound device or something like that).

4) Buy an old computer ! 486 is incredibly cheap these days smile.gif You can play all our old classics.

Just keep on trying. Or give up. I played Dott without sound effects because of memory problems (there was no solution for that) and listened to them via Scumm revisited smile.gif

I have noticed that hardware problems are a part of playing and solving such problem is sometimes more fun than playing... smile.gif

You know what i did?

i got my good old 486 DX2 66Mhz of the attic

and installed all my old games on it; sam 'n maz, DotT, indy games and MI 1&2 and it works FINE!!!

use you new and modern computer for new and modern games and play 'old' games on a old computer is my advice

------------------

"mwahahaha" - Murray

• 4 months later...

Archived