Home

KOTOR Crash Problems

Nenjamonky117

Hello people of the Lucas Forums. I have a very annoying problem, and am not smart enough to fix it. LEND ME YOUR BRAINS!!

I have just recently thrown myself into the glorious world of KOTOR, playing on the "Best of PC" version. I am in the early stages of the game, and after leaving Dantooine for the first time, i chose to go to Tatooine.

I left the starting area into the Dune Sea, and encountered several crashes. These weren't ordinary, though. When the crashed commenced, the monitor would go blank, the music would persist (if I remember correctly, this might be false) and the whole computer would freeze.

I restarted the computer each time, and only got a few minutes further in until it would crash again. This crash would NOT let me ctrl+alt+del into task manager, it would NOT let me alt+tab, and left me virtually helpless, leaving me with the only option to manually restart the comp.

PLEASE help me, members of Lucas Forums! I am anxious to enjoy more of this fantastic game!

Hi.

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and "swconfig.exe". For each file, right-click on it, select "properties", then "compatibility", check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that. Also, please specify which version of Windows you are using because the game can't ID anything newer than XP.

Ok, posting system specs.

Oh, and btw, I do have XP (proffesional) so i don't guess there's a problem involving this.

LucasArts System Report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product

Name Star Wars: Empire at War

DirectX

Version 9.0c

d3dx9_30.dll Yes

Display devices

Device RADEON X800 PRO

TnL Yes

Pixel shader 2.0

Vertex shader 2.0

Driver ati2dvag.dll

Version 6.14.10.6601

VendorId 4098

DeviceId 19017

Memory 256.0 MB

Sound devices

Device SoundMAX Digital Audio

Driver smwdm.sys

Version 5.12.0001.3713

CPU

Device AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~2

Total 1

Speed 2400 MHz

MMX Yes

SSE Yes

SSE2 Yes

3DNow Yes

RAM

Total 1023 MB

Operating system

Name Windows XP

Version Service Pack 3

Drives

Name C:

Device ST316002 3AS SCSI Disk Device

File system NTFS

Total 152625 MB

Available 11647 MB

Edit: Um... it says the product is Empire at War, but it's on the "Best of PC" Disk so EaW is on the same disk as KOTOR. :p

Give the Dantooine lag fix a try:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini"), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

I updated the drivers for my Graphics card, but it doesn't seem to help. However, before I did i have already completed KOTOR 1 whilst gritting my teeth through the crashes.

I downloaded KOTOR 2 through Steam, hoping the problems wouldn't persist, but the same crashes occur. That's when I downloaded the new drivers. Do I have to enable something in the Catalyst control center? Or is this a problem unrelated to drivers?

For reference, the crashes occur in various different forms.

- Game will freeze, whilst music persists, then an error message appears for reporting the error, saying the KOTOR 2 has encountered a problem (the usual error message).

- the screen will go blank, then turn blue with vertical dotted white lines, and the computer restarts entirely.

- the game freezes all together, causing me to manually restart the computer.

Try downloading and installing HWMonitor. It should be able to tell you how hot everything is running.

Your hardware is very old, but perfectly capable of playing the KotOR games. You probably just need to do some basic maintenance on your machine, like dust removal.

Archived