Home

What do we look for in an adventure game?

Guest Guybrush112

Guest Guybrush112

Alright guys, listen up here, we all talk about how MI has all the story, graphics, music, characters, humor, everything! But what do we look for in an adventure game non-related to MI? Do we look for the same traits or something else? Do we look for graphics or story? Or do we look for genre?

------------------

"Mortal fool! Release me from this retched tomb! I will hide your keysin your upholstered furniture! And never more will you be able to find socks that match!"

Guest Guybrush112

hmmm

------------------

"Mortal fool! Release me from this retched tomb! I will hide your keysin your upholstered furniture! And never more will you be able to find socks that match!"

Guest Guybrush112

yeah, so it has to be a great, serious story, or a great, hilarious story. I do that too. like mafia games, but perfer the old adventure game (no matter how dead they are) cool.gif

------------------

i really like the games with great stories or content, graphics and all that other stuff dont really matter too much, but if the gameplay controls are really bad, or if theres a lot of bugs and stuff, id be less likeley to like it.

[This message has been edited by Scumm (edited October 25, 2000).]

when ever i go to buy a game i just realize that nothing will ever come as close to greatness as ffviii(yes thats 8)(and no, i don not like vii, its probably the worst inthe ff series)(even compared to the first!)- think about it, the story line, graphics and character development, and game play are all the gratest in any game ever. period.

------------------

whatever

Yes, FF8 was great, but I think you're lost. This is a Monkey Island board. Ok to compare, but say something MI or general game related, unless you are talking about Grim Fandango, as a lot of people do here, hell, talk about any adventure game, but not RPG's etc. We always tend to have a m***ive argument here if someone brings up another game. Not knocking FF8 though. wink.gif

------------------

"You're a bunch of foul-smelling, grog-swilling pigs"

Final Fantasy VIII!? AGGH! That game had a much shallower storyline, exceedingly non-complex characters, and was held up only by its superior graphics! The game was really just Squaresoft's response to all the whining about FF7's in depth, complex (and brilliant) storyline and ending! Despite all the complaints about Aeris' death and unresolved factors, it was these that made the game truly great! Had there been completely closure on everything (as there is in FF8) or had Aeris been resurrected, or had not died in the first place (as Rinoa does in FF8), the game would seem shallow and fundamentally flawed (as FF8 does, and is)!

All the same, this will be my last comment on the topic, as everyone else is right that this isn't really a place to discuss it.

------------------

"I said I wanted to be a cannonball. BOOM!"

-Guybrush Threepwood

Guest Guybrush112

me? I hate most RPG's. I tried FF7--EEEEWW! And no adventure games are dead!!!! They are very much alive..and waiting.......boo! ha ha! gotcha! anyway, thanks for all the posts, i appreciate it...keep writing smile.gif

------------------

What I look for most in an adventure is atmosphere and story, also big turn-offs for adventure games are any ones that let you run up against a "brick-wall" (Areas with an incredibly difficult puzzle, and you're not allowed to do anything else in the game till the puzzle is solved), or kill you if you make simple mistakes (*coughking'squestcough*).

I think that for an adventure game to be good, it has to have some linkage to it. i.e. you can't just have it so that what you have to do is just very taxing... there has to be a reason for something happening that means you have to do something else. I find it wrecks the game if they just put something in to make it harder.

Also, I think it's good to have difficulty settings. Personally I love a really good challenge... but if the only way I can complete a game is by clicking everywhere on every screen or using a walkthrough, then that just makes it boring.

The most important things though are Humour, Originality and storyline... definately!!

Guest Guybrush112

yeah! story definatly! the concole guys dont give a **** about story or humor. they want graphics..period! just graphics, how rude. :p

Guest Guybrush112

okay, i'm acctually pissed off at a guy i know who lovesgraphics and nothing else and thinks a computer is that red stuff you put on your burgers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guybrush112

ummm.....your new right? No speaking of other adventure games, comparing however is okay.

------------------

the longest jopurney was really good and long

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

lets cancel school, what you dont know cant hurt you if nobody knows it either

Guest Guybrush112

stop patronizing me, don't talk 'bout hings other than monkey island you...you...you big big old ed wetting ****ie heads!!!!!! Grrrr, snarl,grrrr!

Archived