Home

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Remastered Soundtrack

Laserschwert

Well, that works like a charm. Thanks a lot!

However, I forgot another feature that might would be a handy addition to the tool, since iMUSE files often contain multiple pieces of music in the same file, and that would be basically outputting one file per track (not to be confused with channels). For now, I've used the tool MIDIplex for that, but it's a bit cumbersome, as it only allows deleting tracks, not save them individually.

Even more quickly added (hour of dev), even less tested - I considered adding an option to split each MIDI file into new tracks based on channels (which we did for HighLand), but decided I don't have the time right now. 🙂

https://github.com/Jither/iMUSE-Sequencer/releases/tag/Misty-1.1.0

New "verb" is split - it also allows remapping at the same time. You can, of course, just use the output format that is built in, which will store the output files in the same folder with the same name and tracknumber appended. There's another example of a format in the examples. Beware that if you don't include "{track}" in the format, it'll generate the same name for every file, and they'll overwrite each other - a format like "{folder}/{name}.mid" will even overwrite the original file without warning. 😉 This is all very hacky development for now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:22 AM, Laserschwert said:

Anyway, I finalized "The Coldest Year of My Life", which is such a beautiful track! Hard to believe, something like this to show up in a 90s point-and-click adventure.

Thanks for the good work!

On 2/2/2024 at 9:12 PM, Serge said:

Even more quickly added (hour of dev), even less tested - I considered adding an option to split each MIDI file into new tracks based on channels (which we did for HighLand), but decided I don't have the time right now. 🙂

https://github.com/Jither/iMUSE-Sequencer/releases/tag/Misty-1.1.0

New "verb" is split - it also allows remapping at the same time. You can, of course, just use the output format that is built in, which will store the output files in the same folder with the same name and tracknumber appended. There's another example of a format in the examples. Beware that if you don't include "{track}" in the format, it'll generate the same name for every file, and they'll overwrite each other - a format like "{folder}/{name}.mid" will even overwrite the original file without warning. 😉 This is all very hacky development for now.

Works great, thanks again! What seems to be missing in a lot of the files are tempo changes (or even an initial tempo), so I guess those were originally SYSEX commands interpreted by iMUSE?

Also, here's a little preview of what's coming next:

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:28 AM, Laserschwert said:

Works great, thanks again! What seems to be missing in a lot of the files are tempo changes (or even an initial tempo), so I guess those were originally SYSEX commands interpreted by iMUSE?

Nope... iMUSE doesn't have any tempo specific hooks or markers. It's possible to change the tempo from SCUMM, but that was rarely done. All of the MIDIs (just checked) have initial tempo as standard MIDI meta events, as well as tempo changes when applicable (see fourth purple line):

image.png

iMUSESequencer scan for standard MIDI system messages in all files from FOA - all of them have at least one tempo (initial or change) - labelled "set-tempo" here (excerpt):

image.png

However, only the first track in an iMUSE MIDI will have an initial tempo - because none of the other tracks are independently played - they will all follow in some kind of sequence from the first track. Hence, Misty doesn't include any tempo in the split MIDI files, except for the file created from the first track - because it has no way of knowing what that initial tempo should be for the others: If the tempo changes halfway through track 1, and iMUSE then happens to jump to track 2, then the tempo of track 2 will be that changed tempo, not the initial tempo.

ETA: Haven't checked FOA specifically, because I'm not that familiar with FOAs MIDIs - which ones use iMUSE heavily and which don't. But here's an example from the DOTT opening titles - DOTT uses a different version of iMUSE ("v2"), so it actually also does include initial tempo on all tracks (which Misty would then also include in the split MIDIs). But other than that, this is an example of the tempo being changed, and then conditionally jumping to track ("chunk") 6 (actually, 7 - unlike Misty, iMUSE Sequencer (and iMUSE itself) counts tracks from 0). Tracks 2-5 are used for delaying the theme when a platform is too slow at loading the graphics for the next part of the title sequence.

image.png

Edited by Serge
  • Thanks 2