Home

Hanging on Ledges

SlowbieOne

Obviously none of you have ever played Syphon Filter for the PlayStation. Gabe (your character) always hangs off a ledge if you walk backwards onto it. This gets VERY annoying and often causes you to be shot to death by terrorists as you rapidly push buttons to get him down in the middle of a gun fight. Although it would be a nice way to soften your fall, it still is more of a hassle than a useful ability. This is the same case as 'wall-crawling' in Spider-Man, so if any of you have played those games you know what I'm talking about.

Syphon Filter 2 was a good game, but it was slow and sluggish. This is Jedi Knight 2 we are talking about. Of course you would get caught off guard hanging on ledges sometimes. But GABE LOGAN IS NO JEDI. If you have played Heretic 2 for PC(which is also made by Raven), it uses the same method of hanging and shimmying across ledges. I had absolutely no problems. And I am sure JK2 will be twice as fast as that game in terms of gameplay. I don't know I'm really hoping they include it.

I dont think so. Its OK in an all 3rd person game, like LucasArts put it into TPM the game, but if your using FP mode and you suddenly find yourself hanging, or if you are trying to jump off backwards to ambudsh someone, it would get kinda annoying. A grab key would be cool, if you could also use it to climb walls or something

Including the ability to hang from ledges or other objects could be useful. It worked well in Heretic II when jumping up to reach certain areas, and helped when leaping across wide gaps. Climbing up and down ropes was also a part of Heretic II.

I can think of certain instances where Force Jump might not be enough - such as crossing a sizeable hazardous environment. That could be toxic waste, a chasm, or maybe a high chamber full of Stormies where you could sneak across the room above them.

Hanging from a rope or ledge to cross an area might be interesting - although it would seriously have to fit into the context of the gameplay. Having lots of features is fine as long as they serve an appropriate purpose.

Hanging from ledges would, as suggested by others, help if you are playing the game more stealthily. It could even be utilised to access some secret areas.

I think anything that can add variety and longevity to the gameplay would be welcome.

Archived