Home

MP/SP Instant Replay ???

Chewie_Rips

From talking to another member on another board( thanks Jimi Wan) I wanted to see what everyones thoughts were on an instant replay option for MP games, or even SP games in JKO....I think it would be sweet to play back duels, or games you have with other players on-line...even being able to save them and email them to members of your clan, freinds, etc....Allot of players like to take screens, but I think Instant replay, or being able to watch games you played later would be friggin sweat....what are your thoughts???

that would be pretty fricken cool, but i dunno, that might take up a lot of memory, i dunno, the replay on XWA was cool, i loved watching ties blow in slo mo. then to see the lasers fly past, it was a really neat feature, it helped with my flying too, but i dunno if it would help as much with your running and gunning, maybe to find the ass who conc-ed you from behind, but other than that, i dunno if it has many other purposes, unless someone else can think of any...

Your welcome Chewie.

You know, when i played Tie Fighter, years ago, I always used that record and replay function. I loved it, and i didnt understand why it wasnt used in later games. This reason, and the reason that it is a sweet option for FPS i thought, is why i brought it up in the other board (the dream game one in Yoda's Swamp).

Well, that wouldn't be too difficult to implement, since they are using the Quake 3 Team Arena engine.

That engine features a demo recording option with which you can record your gameplay and then play it back after the fight.

The way it works in Quake 3 Arena:

- type record [demoname] in the console and you start recording.

- type stoprecord in the console and you stop

- type demo [demoname] and you see a replay of your recorded demo!

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Right, it is ingame footage that you can only view ingame.

But you can give the actual demo file to someone else and he/she can watch it on his/her computer in the game.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

I think the idea of playback in Q3, at least in part, is to detect cheaters. Watching the replay is sometimes the only way to detect aim bots and other gayness.

I'm pretty sure JK2 will have it, and I can just picture Yub going over the replays when some one is accused of cheating in a CWT.

Well what you can do in the quake 3 engine is bind keys to commands, so you can bind any key on your keyboard or your mouse to the start record and stop record command and thus operate your recording sessions.

When your used to the X-Wing recording "studio" you're a little "spoiled" when it comes to recording your demo's

;)

Archived