Home

Kyle isn't a jedi master.

Gabrobot1587246497

boy, shes not up for anything... so how come it took you so long to post, since you were member # 385 and you didnt post til now, were on mem # fourhundred something, last time i looked... not trying to be snooty, just curious? were you just reading posts, checking it out, or just forgot for a while... ;)

I've been lurking for ages, and had something to reply to way back when. I got as far as registering before I thought better of it.

That's pretty typical for me. I don't post much no matter what the topic, even on boards I moderate. **shrug**

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, no matter how tentative... :p:)

Guest Kurgan

Here's one way you could look at it. Barring saying that Kyle was the greatest Jedi ever, how about this?

Say he was just an average Jedi, but, his immense powers had something to do with the Valley of the Jedi.

Think about it. In the EU, Mara Jade is weak in the Force, but the Emperor fuels her force ability, so she has power, until he dies. In the Jedi Academy Trilogy, a similar thing happens with Exar Kun and his disciples. He uses his force ability to augment their weak or average powers, to incredible levels.

In a similar fashion (and this goes for the Dark Forces novels as well), the spirits of the Jedi in the Valley are able to add to Kyle's powers, to increase his command of the force at an exponential rate (the good jedi spirits). In a similar fashion, Jerec seeks to harnass the dark jedi spirits (and eventually the light as well, which would lead to his near omnipotence, had he claimed the entire valley force well).

So in that way, it would make perfect sense, that Kyle, as he got closer to the Valley, he became much more powerful, and as he went away, he became less powerful.

After winning, his powers would probably languish, which would explain how he was weaker in MotS and then in JKO.

Just another way of explaining it...

PS: The rankings in JK were 8=Lord and 7=Master. MotS had 8=Master, and 7=Knight.

Kurgan

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

No, Matt, I think that'll be quite sufficient... :)

I quite like that explanation, Kurgan. It cuts the relatively unknown figure of Katarn back down to size while still allowing for the events of the previous game to be possible.

And you nuts that like the X vs. Y arguments can keep going. Just substitute someone like Corran Horn for Luke and you're set. :)

Guest Kurgan

Well of course then there is the preliminary explanation that LEC gave.. that Kyle was "afraid of the Darkside" so he "gave up" and went into retirement/hiding and let his skills deteriorate.

Of course that doesn't mean he'd stop being force sensitive, and he might grow in awareness of the force, just that he'd be out of practice, assuming he did NOTHING in all that time (doubtful).

But I like the above explanation better (and if fits better in the EU mythos) than simply saying he sat on his butt for a few years and forgot everything.

Along those same lines, if "not using the force" over time makes you weaker, then how would somebody like Yoda remain a super-powerful Jedi while he was living on Dagobah, with nobody around for miles in that swamp? What did he do all day, lift rocks and twigs?

Kurgan

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Archived