Home

Force Speed + Environment Size

SlowbieOne

We all know how fast you could run in JK with Force Speed with 4 stars accumulated.

Since the JK engine wasn't too advanced, it could easily accomodate top speed with no loss of frames per second.

The question is this, will Force Speed be just as fast in JK2 and will it affect gameplay with the Q3A engine?

I guess the size of the environments + Force Speed could affect frames per second. I played Serious Sam the other day, and let me tell ya, HUGE environments, QUALITY textures, and NO loss of frames AT ALL. You can shoot a rocket at something at least a mile away, and you can watch it hit 1 minute later. I was blown away.

Will this Q3A engine be able to handle the sheer magnitude of those levels? I hope so because in my opinion a big part of the Star Wars universe is the enormous planets, cities, and bases. It just won't feel like Star Wars if the whole game is too cramped.

When it comes to JK, I am a Force Speed freak and no other FPS has come close to matching the speed of JK, I am just hoping they continue on with JK2. :D

Keep force speed about the same ...speed as it was in jedi knight 1.

I too loved force speed in the original JK. It was just so mad, when you were completely overwhelmed, force speed was very handy.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get big open environments. It's what Star Wars is all about, and makes for cooler lightsaber dueling arenas! Although Elite Force didnt have too many big open areas if i remember correctly. ANYWAYS!

Raven arent stupid enough to exclude big environments. Lucasarts would be completley negligent in such matters...but not Raven

Guest Krayt Tion
The question is this, will Force Speed be just as fast in JK2 and will it affect gameplay with the Q3A engine?

Very interesting question. I would attempt to find a mod that messes with your speed in Q3 and then check your fps to be sure of this. Make sure the mod uses a Q3 team arena engine though, that is what JO will be based off of- it includes code to better handle larger open areas and terrain.

I would imagine Force Jump might also hack away at your FPS when you jumped too your maximum height or off of something that was high to begin with- especially if there was lots of detail down below.

Hmmm...I'm not sure that running a Q3:TA mod at high speed will be an accurate measure. Raven have made quite a few enhancements and additions to the engine, and for all we know they've stripped it down to the bare bones to optimize it.

I'm pretty sure that Raven will do their best to ensure smooth framerates in all environments using a variety of force powers. The only caveat may be the need for a well-specified system to run it on, although if SOF is anything to go by, you should be able to adjust a variety of settings (i.e., switch certain things off) in order to maintain a decent framerate.

Quote from preview of Soldier of Fortune 2 at www.videogames.com - Team Arena, id Software's add-on for Quake III Arena, included a new terrain system that allowed for enormous outdoor environments, but rather than make use of this technology, Raven has implemented ROAM, a terrain system that it says will allow for even larger environments, which completely dwarf the already lengthy ones used in the first game

DWARF?!? I may have just answered my own question. :)

i would love huge sprawlling cityscapes where the objectives werent linier, and you may have to end right where you began... something like a mile by a mile map would be cool! well, maybe not a whole mile, seeings as its SW, a Km by a Km would be enough to satisfy me... some huge city would be a great map...

I love the idea of a sprawling cityscape - especially if it has the vertical element that is so much a Star Wars trademark.

I remember the first time I ever played JK, and the first level just seemed to go on and on. It blew me away at the time. If Raven can replicate the same scale in JK2 as the largest levels in JK, then that would be great. Of course, if we could have 20-30 SP levels of that size, I might need plastic surgery to remove the grin from my face. ;)

The thing I didn't really like in JK was the relatively small size and simplicity of some of the Dark Jedi levels. I'd prefer something along the lines of the complexity and scale of the ESB duel between Luke and Vader...an approach, then a battle in maybe three different types of area. The only level that had some of that element in JK was the fight with Maw. So larger environments for duelling would be great.

Archived