Home

Orginal Music in DF3....

Red_XIIII

But with MP3 and other audio compression standards there's no longer any reason not to have a properly recorded soundtrack

Yes! Yes, to StormHammer you listen!

Xwing Alliance had some kind of musical system that mixed different themes and melodies from all the best Star Wars songs. But the quality was probably as good as mp3. This classic Dark Forces theme we're listening to should be integrated into at least one of the tracks in JKO, using similar technology.

Playing tracks off a cd is a bit dated by now. Plus with a music system similar to Xwing alliance the tempo picks up when enemies are near, and drops down when your alone and safe.

If anyone has played Half-Life

If you havent played half-life you cannot call yourself a computer game player. In fact anyone who hasn't played half-life should get the hell off these forums. YOU DISGUST ME!!! :)

Originally posted by ed_silvergun:

I think the new version of Direct Music (ie. DirectX 8) makes some provisions for this kind of immersive soundtrack.

Yes, ed, I think I read that somewhere too. But my point was whether or not they will actually implement it. ;)

Wagnerian? LOL :)

Uh jus ta let u know, MP3 is a lossy compression FOrmat, XWA uses Wav files @22kz 16bit stereo, quailty wise prob better then a 128kps mp3 file. also for example a CD is 44khz @16bit stereo uncompressed, turn one track of a cd into a MP3 @ any compression rate, u introduce artficats into the sound.

why i would like DF3 to support other formats other then what Q3 alrdy has is a MP3 takes up alot of space about 12mb for a 192kps 44khz @ 9min, thats better then wav thats for sure but its huge compared to midi, or a digitl format like IT, XM, MOD.

Midi can hold 25min in under 200k, XM 1meg and maintain good quality. digitl prob have the advtange, cause they do sound the same under anysound card, tho at the cost of giving up a few cpu cycles, not many on a 1ghz proc its like 3%<hr>

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

Original Dark Forces used iMuse, but LEC also integrated it into such games like Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, X-Wing Alliance and TPM. I think it worked admirably in each of them(especially in both X-Wing Alliance and TPM, which used cues from the movies) and it would be terrible waste of good sound system, if Raven/LucasArts didn't use it in JK2. I do however understand, if Raven ultimately chooses to use their own sound system, which they probably know better... Just be true to the musical (Wagnerian) style that John Williams created for the movies, when you compose your own music, and throw there some of the not-so-familiar cues from the Maestro himself to balance the final mix. :D

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Lord_FinnSon ]

Actually the score to Jedi Knight was probably the best PC game score ever produced. Only the score for Outlaws could compete, in my book.

I understand how some of the themes, if played over and over could get tiring. But then again, the Williams scoring grounded Jedi Knight firmly within the Star Wars galaxy, where it belonged.

Some of the tracks were radical remixings: take for example the music we hear at the Valley of the Jedi. Very radically remixed from the original source. Those sections were created by Peter McConnell and David Levison, music producers for (for better or for worse), Force Commander. I actually liked some of the work they did on FoCom, although I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone.

I say Raven/LEC should stick with the method that made Jedi Knight great: use the traditional orchestral scorings, perhaps either throuh an iMuse-like system (btw SOF2 may indeed feature a dynamic music system that responds to game events, similar to iMuse) or through extended mp3 tracks.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Wilhuf, I couldn't agree more.

I must say when I heard the music in JK, I was quite moved. I was expecting carbon-copy tracks from Williams original score.

Whoever mixed the tracks really searched through all of the Trilogy's music create some beautiful renditions.

I wouldn't mind Kyle having his own theme, but not unless Williams produced it(highly unlikely). But seriously, no one else can copy Williams style, it just wouldn't be the same.

I don't know if they are using the event-based music system in JK2, but if not I would love to see the same people mix up some new tracks for JO.

Even if they use the normal tracks though, I wouldn't mind a bit, I will never get sick of Star Wars music till the day that I die.

Aww heck, who am I kidding I won't be sick of it that day either. :)

BTW for the record, Half- Life was an OK game, but I don't see what the big deal about it was. Story was normal and predictable(not to mention brief), game was too short, no charactewr interaction, enemies were boring. The list goes on.

Half Life the best game ever? No, sorry.

JK, No One Lives Forever, Undying, Giants, now these are great games with actual stories that you play through.

Half-Life to me had exactly what the title means, half of a life.

Not even the multiplayer aspect was intersting after games like Unreal Tournament.

I know this was a bit off topic but I just wanted to say that not everyone thinks highly of Half-Life, and for good reasons.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: SlowbieOne ]

Originally posted by SlowbieOne:

<STRONG>

BTW for the record, Half- Life was an OK game, but I don't see what the big deal about it was. Story was normal and predictable(not to mention brief), game was too short, no charactewr interaction, enemies were boring. The list goes on.

</STRONG>

*Ahem*

Where should I begin. Half-Life was an OK game?

The story was very original, and not at all predictable. Unless of course you went to a site that had level walkthroughs, oh well maybe that explains it.

The game may have been shorter compared to others, but let's not forget that the story happened within 3-4 days. Games like JK span over months, even years thus the game is longer. But not by much.

No Character Interaction?! What are you talking about? Half-Life was probably the FIRST fps that had a *working* interactive system where you could get friends and allies to do things, like unlock doors and help ward off enemies, not to mention the dialogue that they had to offer. ie: When the cop is about to give you a message but is mysteriously shot in mid-sentence before he can say the rest.

The enemies were the best part, besides the weapons. From the headcrabs to the Nihilanth, the enemies were strange and complex, and often worked in packs in order to take you down.

And let's not forget the weapons. They were neat as hell and practical at the same time, which most games can't seem to distinguish.

The levels might have paled next to JK's, but Black Mesa is not a Jedi Burial ground nor is it set in a futuristic place. It's leftover from the cold war, so don't expect a lot of eye candy and architectural genius... Although Xen was the total opposite... it was Dark and depressing, with a very intricate and well thought out design.

So, if you think Half-Life is a dumb game, that's ok. Just ignorant. :p

*Note: This wasn't meant to be a flame, just a fountain of knowledge. :D

While I agree that DF series had some pretty good music, I wouldn't say it had the best music by a longshot. I would have to give that kudos to the diablo series. Diablo 2 and its expansion had the most creative and origional sound track I have heard for a pc game that I can think of. The instrumentation, the mood set, it was excellent!

General Theros

Archived