Home

FPSs moved on

toms

Well, i have just started playing No One Lives Forever... and i have to say it wasn't what i was expecting.

My crappy system has obviously held me back from some of the new developments in FPS games. Suddenly they don't seem to just involve running around shooting stuff, different levels have different play mechanincs (sniping, stealth, skydiving, scuba diving, vehicles etc..) giving the game more variety. Things like stealth (speed, noise, cameras, silent weapons) have made it from games like thief into mainstream games.

It definately gives you a lot more variation in the gameplay.

They also had a Rogure SPear style crosshair, which i have to say i really like. It, and the sound thing, make it much more important to use the walk and croch functions, rather than just madly running and jumping around everywhere.

I haven't played Elite FOrce, but i hope they plan to include some of this variation in JKO, especially with the overwhelming presence of the lightsaber... the game could become fairly repetetive if it is just 16 levels of saber block, slash, repeat.

Stealth could be easily implemented, we already know that cell blocks and places have cctv cameras. Hopefully sound and sneaking will be in too. ANd innacuracy when running (which could possibly be countereacted by a force power that make your aim true for a short while).

Having a few levels set in various diferent areas would be cool too (underwater, zero gravity, in space, on a star destroyer surface etc..)

One nice thing i liked was the way the AI, though scripted, was fun to be involved in (falling off balconies, poping in and out from cover, rolling down (and occasionally up ;) ) stairs. ANd the way they took a second to spot you, allowing you to duck back out of sight was definately an improvement over most games' ultra fast, accurate enemies. .

Mind you, i will play deus ex next... maybe i am just behind the times and this is all obvious... ;)

I too didn't start playing NOLF until a few months ago...then my system needed a reinstall, and I haven't had a chance to play it again. I too liked the variety in that game, and it wasn't quite as spoofy as it first appeared...which was a good thing, IMHO.

EF does have a sneaky level or two...although it doesn't have as great an impact if you are spotted. You can just blast your way through most of the level if necessary.

I definitely welcome greater variety in the gameplay...although to be honest, I would prefer a choice similar to that in EF. If I want to try and sneak through...fine, let me do it. But if I want to blast my way through the same level, let me do that too. That way I have a choice.

Sometimes in NOLF, I felt that choice was lacking...you had to sneak in parts or get turned into a swiss cheese. Although to be fair, it did fit the context of being a spy infiltrating certain areas.

Yeah, you may be a little bit behind, but nobody's perfect. ;) All previews of JK2 have promised more interaction with NPC's, more puzzles and smarter enemies who might come with bigger group againts you(especially when they find out you are a jedi) or take cover in tight situations. I don't know about cameras, but I also remember how they made gameplay more intense in Deus Ex and Nolf. You might also wanna check out Max Payne even though it offers more traditional action...

i got NOLF as soon as it came out. i love the game and the music.

The AI was great! they would roll, fall back etc. I liked the level were the ship is sinking and you have to escape. i also liked the one were you have to find a way to get off the plane. i loved freefalling from the plane without a parachute!

Guest ZeroXcape

NOLF is like the all around "do everything in one game" scenario. Half the fun is how it continues to add in new challeneges, and towards the end it lets you figure out what you need to do from what you've previously learned. I may even say it was better then Half-Life SP just cause it kept me more interested. Unfortunatly, MP didn't even come close ;)

Long Life Half-Life...

hmmm. still playing. It is definately a long game. (finished HL in 3 days...this has taken over a week.). WOuldn't say it is better than half like (the immersion factor isn't there), but it is definately much more varied than any PFS i have played up til now.

A lot of the ideas aren't fully implemented (unfortunately) but maybe NOLF 2 will pull it all together.

I DON'T like some of the sudden death levels, where if you are spotted the level ends.. there should be a way to turn the alarms back off. But apart from that...

The coin's for distraction are excellent: hopefully distract will work something like that in JK2. The AI isn't always the toughest, but it definately makes the enemy act like it is alive. Virtualy stupidity in some cases..but still cool.

Camera disablers... great idea.

Picking weapon loadouts, gadgets before missions: also great.

SLient weapons... (especially speargun) also cool.

Archived