Home

Grunting

Guest Hannibal

Guest Hannibal

Will effort be shown during the saber battles. Like being able to here the character grunt when they block or attack?

That would be cool.

I could do with less grunting. I mean yeah, people get tired and when they fight they make some noise, but I figure Jedi are in better shape and have all that regulated breathing and stuff, so they won't make too much of a racket.

I mean you have the alternatives which are Lui Kang in Mortal Kombat (or as we liked to call him "the Chicken Man!") and the Quake guy (and his critically constipated "huuuurrruhhh" every single time he jumped).

JK did a pretty good job. Oh, some nice voice taunts would be great too.. ; )

Kurgan

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I think grunting is a very precarious subject. get it wrong and u have a repetative annoying noise everytime you jump or do anything. Eg the jumping noises in Q3. Well, I dont think I know of a game which has a non- annoying jymping noise, cos I wouldnt remember it. I think that JK did it well, no noise is good. The only time I would allow grunting would be in a saber duel where the 2 ppl have locked their sabers 2gether and are using their strength to try and force the other 1 off their balance, like in the last battle of ROTJ.

Guest Hannibal

I was thinking more along the lines of like in the Duel of the Fates when Obi-Wan chops Maul's saber in to there was grunting there. Only when some specific event happens. Not grunting like when an old man gets up from a lazy boy. :)

Could it be that Maul grunted because Obi Wan reverse ankle kicked him in sternum?;-)

The only time I want to hear grunts is when you hit or are hit by something 'hard' (fast) enough to force the air out (and even then it's as much a function of disciplined defensive breath control as panic or pain).

The majority of 'real-sword fighting' (see the original Michael York Musketeers movies or Liam Neesons clash with the French Fop in Rob Roy) exhaustion comes from swinging an 8 to 20lb blade around, at the very limits of your shoulder and elbow, wrist and knee, joint extension and muscle/tendon insert 'leverage'.

All while trying to stop or change direction of your own inertias unpredictably enough to score inbetween 'absorbing' the equivalent strikes of your opponent. It is no small thing that Earthian war blades are used as much two-handed with a grip-on-blade for their crushing and smashing capabilities. Like a stiff club as much as a small spear.

This bleeds across a lot to movie Light Sabre duels because in effect they are still massy blades (though very light aluminum-tubed or so I'm told).

Think less sledgehammer and more fly swatter and you get the advantage as well as the danger of having a zero-mass blade composed of triphase plasma running about 10-20,000 degrees at the cancellation/engagement 'event horizon'.

Heck, you can HEAR the very air itself ionizing with a static skitter and moaning buzz like a lightning strikes into the heart of the Dresden firestorm.

Such that, if anything, you should be pouring **rivers** of sweat and be in danger of heat exhaustion and/or throat/nose/lung damage under a sustained heat load similar to a 1,000 tanning bed lamps collectively turned on, sometimes inches from your face, as the blades clash.

Kurt Plummer

Who truly wants a light saber of his own, real bad. But wonders if he'll need asbestos shorts or a rad badge to go along with...;-)

Archived