Home

Puzzle Improvement?

Chewie_Rips

I wanted to get everyones thoughts as to how, and if, they would implement more in-depth and challenging puzzle elements in JKO?? I would like for there to be force based puzzles, or scenerious that would force the player to user certain skills to advance through levels...although, I don't want the game to stray away from the fps, or action game feel, I think there is some room for growth here, especially since there was limits to this in JK......any ideas...thank you.. :)

Having the saber/force as part of the puzzles was quite cool in JK (slashing grates, pulling switches etc..) but it would be cool if they made it more integgrated into the game and less obvious as "the point i have to force pull a switch".

Generally having things that can be interacted with around the levels would be cool. Being able to throw sabers to knock over pillars to form bridges, drop arches or chandeliers on enemies, force pull switches to shut doors on monsters, throw crates through windows to make enemies get sucked off balconies etc..

I thought that the Timothy Zahn trillogy was quite cool in the creative ways it came up with to use sabers. maybe something like that...

I think the most important thing to remember in puzzle situations is that if it is a "fixed" puzzle, thus never changes, it is quite easy the second or next time playing through. In that spirit I likie puzzles that change dependent on your situation. Of course they shouldnt be ridiculously hard and wreck the FPS element, which it is.

Instead of a switch that you have to climb a ledge to get to OR you can force pull it if you have that force, I would prefer to see a situation where you have to use your force powers but there are two or three different solutions and how it is sovled depends on which force powers you have.

Timed puzzles are good, like jumping down a shaft with fans or running through a corridor with flames or something, this way each time the game can change the timing and you never quite know.

Perhaps a blast door with a code needed to open it and there are several WELL gaurded locations around the level that have the code on computer but only one is real and the other ones are fake, you may get the true code the first time or you might have to fight into four heavily fortified barracks before you get the right one.

Just some thoughts

Guest Home_Sliced

In my mind, there are two basic kinds of puzzles: skill puzzles and problem solving puzzles.

Skill puzzles test your actual movement and coordination skills with your input controller. The industrial levels from Half-life with all the radioactive material and conveyor belts are examples of skill puzzles. Lots of jumping and timing, but no real problem solving involved.

On the other hand, problem solving puzzles involve deciphering a code, putting objects in the correct order, finding a hidden object, etc. An example of this would be the computer core access puzzle in the Inperial City level in Dark Forces. In order to gain access, the doors had to be opened in a certain order. There's no skill involved (I'm assuming everyone knows how to walk and activate a button :)), only thinking.

From my experience with Raven made games, they do an excellent job making skill puzzles. EF contained almost exclusively skill puzzles. The train level from SOF is another example of a good skill puzzle. On the other hand, purely problem solving puzzles are extremely rare in their games. The only good one I can think of off the top of my head is the laser in the medical lab on the dreadnaught in EF.

Games that I like tend to have a good balance between these two types of puzzle. Half-life is still unparalleled in the puzzle department in my mind. The "Blast Pit" was an incredible level that combined both movement skills and problem solving. The same goes for the Lambda Complex level.

Personally, I think Raven needs to concentrate a little more on the problem solving aspects of their levels. Other than the short length, my bigest dissapointment with EF was the lack of problem solving involved in the puzzles. When it was there, it was so blatantly obvious what to do there was little real thinking involved. Hopefully they will continue the DF tradition with a good mix of challenges.

Yes, dont get me wrong that that puzzles in JK were great in there own right, and satisfied me completely. I just think, maybe do to the fact the game may be shorter in length, that they cuold expand on the puzzle elements, wich may provide the players with more challenges, resulting in a longer game, etc. Allot of games, even though short in gameplay, take longer to complete because of the time and effort it takes to complete challenges. I felt the style and fun factor of the puzzles in JK were great, but maybe lacked a little in terms of challenge, or dificulty. :p

Sounds good acdc, I hope so, and yes I dont want the game to be as long as an rpg, but something to off-set the lenght of the game, as this is going to be shorter thatn JK...so maybe more of a challenge in areas to make up for this...I have faith in Raven as well... :)

Archived