Home

Q3:A Editing Problem Already

Ki-Adi-Mundi

"Your room should now have three textures: one on the ceiling, a different one on the floor, and the four walls painted with a third texture." - <a href="http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/creatroom.htm">This Page</a>

Mine doesn't. All three texturs are still on the floor. There is no ceiling or walls. Just the floor. At least I think it's the floor.

Any help for a n3wb Quake III: Arena editor?

Okay--time for some important rules of brush based editing for people knowledgeable of JK.

Okay--Hollow command is generally evil. It's in all the tutorials because its a simple way of making a room, but it causes problems with generating excess brushes. I'd reccomend staying away from it until you know what you are doing.

Basically you are building your level out of sector deletes. So you need brushes for the walls, one for the floor, one for the cieling, etc.

Kool I would suggest making your site newbie editor freindly. Making maps can be hard with uninformative tutorials Take a look at web page He has it set up so any one can learn to make maps. Its very informative. I Cant wait to see your site.I have a beta screenshot of My Duel of fates map for Rocket arena If you wanna check it out just let me know.

Originally posted by Jedi_Killer:

<STRONG>Okay--Hollow command is generally evil. It's in all the tutorials because its a simple way of making a room, but it causes problems with generating excess brushes. I'd reccomend staying away from it until you know what you are doing.</STRONG>

Definately!

I was just going to post something about this until you did. :)

Really, one brush at a time is the only way to go.

Originally posted by Ki-Adi-Mundi:

<STRONG>Yes, that is where I downloaded GtkRadiant from.</STRONG>

The reason you might be running into problems is because the tutorial you are using is based on Q3Radiant rather than GTKRadiant. I don't know how much difference that makes - I'm a newbie Q3 editor myself - but perhaps the two are different. Anyone in the know care to tell us?

I also have a problem. When I've compiled my map, I go to boot it up in Q3, by going to the console and typing map mapname, where "mapname" is the name of the map I have just compiled. The game appears to find the map and says it's loading it, but then it just goes back to the main Q3 screen. I'm running Q3 v1.27g, and Q3Radiant v202. I used the fullvis command in the BSP menu in Radiant to compile my map. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Also, would it help getting Q3Build for compiling?

Dang it, I hate being a newbie at things. :(

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: ed_silvergun ]

The difference between GTKRadient and QERadient is not huge, if anything it's purely cosmetic, with a few bug fixes. Most tutorials are equally valid for either. GTKRadient is the "future" though, at least for Q3 Engine editing.

Archived