Home

Q3:A Editing Problem Already

Ki-Adi-Mundi

Okay, here's another one.

My map is very bright. I'm not sure why.

In <A HREF="http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/creatroom.htm">Ricebug's Creating a Room Tutorial</A> it says:

If you want, go ahead and compile the map to make sure that the flame looks realistic. If the map is showing up in fullbright mode, tap the tilde key (~) twice after it loads into the game.

Has it got something to do with this? The problem is, on British keyboards, the tilde is on the # key, which means I can only access it by pressing SHIFT. Any ideas?

My instinct says to press the US tilda button(to the left of the 1), but my brain says to press the 3 key(to the left of 4) without shift.

I suggest doing both. Electrical inputs on the keyboard may be like this:

1. key to the left of 1 outputs * for US

2. key to the left of 1 outputs * for UK

in which case the editor would interpret(sp?) the key to the left of 1 as the tilda no matter what the key is labeled...

or it may work like this:

1. key to the left of 1 outputs * for US

2. key to the left of 1 outputs x for UK

in which case you would press the 3 key, or the 3 key+SHIFT .

hth!

jh

The map might be fullbright because it may not have been compiled with the fullvis option.

ed when you compile this map for the first time try the fullvis option. If that does not work, double check your project preferences and make sure the fullvis compile command includes parameters for compiling (-vis -light). They should be there by defualt, but somehow mine were hosed and I had to rebuild the parameters.

Another area to investigate is the map worldspawn entity. With no entities selected, hit the n key to call up entity properties and scroll down to the last entry. It should be the worldspawn entity. Look for a key: ambient

This will specify the overall minimum lighting for your level. You can use it to give your map an overall light brightness and color. There may be an entry there that causes your map to be fullbright. Although I doubt it since I believe the default is to have no ambient key.

Thanks, guys. Archie's suggestion sounds like the one for me, as I tried most of the others already. I'll double-check the project preferences like Wilhuf suggested too, but I did compile the map with fullvis and I did check the ambient light with the worldspawn entity already.

As to the whole keyboard thing, well on UK keyboards the key to the left of 1 is the (`) key, which is used to bring the console down. The tilde (~) key is next to the (ENTER) button and is accessed by pressing (SHIFT)+(#). Now, my (SHIFT) button is bound to crouch in Quake III. So if I press it to access the tilde key, all that happens is my guy crouches down like he's got the squits. Which is all well and good, expect I'm trying to sort the lighting out on my map, not take a dump in the middle of my glorious four-walled box. :)

Well, I'll give all those suggestions a shot later today, and let you know how I do. Thanks for all the help.

Yes I'd bet that adding more geometry to your map may help. I tried to compile a 'box map' my first time out and it simply wouldn't compile. I added in some arbitrary geometric detail, and the map compiled fine after that.

Archived