Home

GalacticBattles.com

Guest ChrisC3po

Guest ChrisC3po

For those of you among the staff who haven’t heard yet, LG.com will be launching GalacticBattles.com in TWO WEEKS. GalacticBattles.com will be the leading source of Battleground news, files, and the home of the OFFICIAL message board. We need everyone to pitch in to make this tight deadline. I’ve assembled a <a href="http://www.jediknightii.net/gb_beta/GalacticBattlePlans.htm">“Battle Plan”</a> for the site launch. If you feel you can help in any way or you have comments, either post here or contact me through ICQ (2437732).

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: ChrisC3po ]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good plan. I wish they would give us another week or a few more days though. It's going to be hard to push this out, but I think it can be done. I just got back and I need to take care of a few things, but hopefully I can spend a lot of time on this.

As far as the menu...something cool I was thinking of would be to have a rotating menu with the focus being different battles. Battle of Naboo, Battle of Yavin, Battle of Hoth, Battle of Endor, etc. We could probably add that later, but I haven't seen anything like that done before.

Anyways, I'll start putting together some ideas for the menu system.

Swoosh

Guest ChrisC3po

It’s great to hear from you again Swoosh. I think it’s safe to say that we’d all like another week or so, but LEC really wants this done in two weeks. We definitely can implement cool rotating menus later if time doesn’t permit before the launch. By the way, you really need to get ICQ at work. :p

Now this is a TEST! VERY VERY BETA. It took me less them 5 minutes to do this. I was concentrating more on the navbar. The rest is just as reference. Anyways... I like your idea of rotating navbar. Here I have a stormtrooper. The rest is empty so it will have to be left to the imagination. For the Battle Of Naboo how about a BattleDroid? And so we dont get blasted by visitors...no gungans at that spot. :D

Just an idea. I use Adobe Photoshop 6. If you have your own beta, send it to me. We shuld work together on this!

gb_jackal_test.gif

Guest ZeroXcape

Looks nice, I'd really like to see the six civilizations incorporated into the site somehow. Hopefully we can get some good art somewhere.

I did a rough thing tonight..check it out here. I guess I cannot do what godgames.com did on their navbar without using flash. We definitely don't have time for me or The Jackal to learn how to use it at that type of level right now. On this navbar beta, the white space in the back would have one of the six civilizations...or a bunch of images representing them. The Jackal is handling those images. I'm gonna try a few more things tonight...give me any feedback you can. Thanks.

Swoosh

Guest ZeroXcape

Swoosh - I really like that, I think it works really well with an RTS site. The best part is how easy it is to add sections.

Hopefully, we can get some good images from LEC to possibly incorporate Jackal's idea into that logo.

(A Random/Different Character from each of the six civ's.)

Guest Aristotle

Concepts look good...

I think for this one we really want a real star warzy look... we'll need some images for sure that make people really feel they will be enjoying the full effect of the star wars RTS they are going to play or are playing.

Jake from Mixn is also working on a beta... so perhaps we can have some decent betas to work from by this weekend.. and then really push into finishing the site by the second week of July... that's when LEC wants to lauch this baby along with the official forums.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Aristotle ]

Swoosh and I are working on a beta right now. He's doing more of the design and I'm more into the graphics.

Aristotle, I would appreciate it a lot if you could get your hands on a few images of the game for us. Preferbly not in game. I need a wookie, gungan, Trade Federation and the Royal Naboo. What I mostly need is cut-scene images or the logos of the civs.

Thanks in advance

Okay. With the limited resources I have done and uploaded these for you to see.

empireNAV.gif

tradeFedNAV.gif

The Trade Federation logo isn't complete. I'm still making the droidka transparent.

If we could get our hands on beautiful screenshots of the game like menu, movies, units (or in fact the manual) I could make them more beautiful and original. Not just images from the movies.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: TheJackal ]

Jackal, those images look very cool. If you could upload the psds to the ftp I can add those into the functional version. If we need to, we can put together ones that use images from the movies for now and replace them when we do get some original shots or whatever. I love the line effect you did...looks very pro. Anyways, upload those and I'll put them together when you do!

Swoosh

Guest jake

I really like those two navbars Jackal. No offense to anyone else working on stuff but those are easily the best GB.com design sketches so car. I need more experience designing SW Sites, I've never made one before and I suck at it :)

Jake

jake@mixnmojo.com

Guest Jeff Walters

I was kind of fond of Don's <a href=http://www.jediknightii.net/gb_beta/index_beta1.shtml>initial design</a>, but this new design is starting to look pretty damn good too.

Guest Aristotle

Agreed... my design was just to get the ball rolling.. I really like what Swoosh and Jackal have put together...

Just make sure you guys touch base with Jake and see if he thinks he can tweak anything or has any thoughts on improving it...

Keep up the great work... looks like it's going to be a dandy... just remember that we have to launch this sucker next week though. :p

I like the lettering best in this last one too btw.

Guest ChrisC3po

Great job Swoosh, Jackal

Progress/What still needs to be done:

Graphics

- Main header/menu needs to be finished, I believe it’s best if we stick to a static header/menu for now, we can randomize it later on.

- Layout Finalized

- Smaller header/title graphic needs to be made

- Any other final touches

Content is just about done, once a beta HTML version of the site is ready to go we can quickly set up the SSI for the content.

CGI/Server Stuff – Nothing has been done here. Before we can start Don, you need to move the domain over to the JKII.net server. This means going to the JKII.net/admin panel and going through the “add new user option”. After this, we can add the CGI scripts that are needed (News Pro, Search Engine, and Form Mail) easily. As for the most important part of the site, the Official Message Board, I’m suggesting that we drop UBB and go with a message board system called <a href="http://www.vBulletin.com">vBulletin</a>. I’ve included a detailed list of reasons why we should do this on a separate page you can view <a href="http://www.jediknightii.net/_chris/vBulletin.htm">here</a>.

Launch Features

- Zero tells me he will be working on a preview for the game, so that’s covered.

- Interview, we haven’t gotten a response on the interview or on screen shots to launch the site yet. Although, I would suggest that we get a list of questions ready for an interview just to safe. I’ll try to start a new thread today or tomorrow for everyone to post his or her questions.

SOunds good Chris...we're working hard! I should be able to get my final beta 1 up tonight. I'm pretty sure of how I want to go with this beta and I just need to impliment it. About vBulletin...the design for the message boards look nearly identical to UBB so what is the advantage of switching over?

Swoosh

Guest ChrisC3po

Swoosh: check out my <a href="http://www.jediknightii.net/_chris/vBulletin.htm">explanation</a>. Most boards today look similar initially, but what’s inside really matters. The fact that the board uses PHP (which significantly speeds things up) is alone reason enough to go with it. The board will also allow us to easily move to a ForumPlanet.com like unified board, where as UBB just can’t do it. For a complete list of reasons click <a href="http://www.jediknightii.net/_chris/vBulletin.htm">here</a>.

Archived