Home

Outcast 2 interview

CaptainRAVE

I know many of you in here are fans of Outcast. Here is the interview for Outcast 2....

Interview mit Carlo Fabricatore über Outcast 2

1/ Outcast 2 is based on the Himalaya Engine, but what are the features of the Himalaya Engine ?

The major change is definitely the swap from voxels to polygons, supporting nice features such as skinning, hardware accelerated transform & lighting (on the PC version), and some other nice things.

2/ Can we interact with objects in Outcast 2?

Yes and no. The world of Outcast 2 will not be fully interactive, and interactive objects will be carefully designed in order to offer a rich but yet well focused gaming experience.

3/ Can we destroy everything, or better can we change the surface of the world, with an explosion, like in Red Faction ?

No. Our engine does not support those features, since the way the game is designed doesn't require them. However, don't you think that in Red Faction they could have made a better use of those nice features?

4/ Uses the Himalaya Engine in some parts Voxel and Polygons like Delta Force 2 or is it only based on Polygons?

Just polys.

5/ How far can we see with the Himalaya Engine?

It's pretty hard to say... In fact, in terms of technology there is always a trade off between the distance and the amount of visible object, so there is not a unique answer to your question. However, I can tell you that in O2 the player will always be able to see as far as needed, since the landscapes are all designed in order to offer a very good level of detail from any accessible distance.

6/ Which 3D Accelerator uses Himalya?

The PS2 is, well, the PS2! And the PC version is DirectX based (so, all the DirectX compliant hardware will be exploited).

7/ Does it support Dual Processors?

The game is not specifically designed to support that feature.

8/ Has the Engine T&L or Lighting Shading?

We do have T&L.

9/ Do we play Cutter Slade again?

Yes.

10/ There were some rumors that OC2 will be out around the 1. Quarter 2002, is that true?

That information is managed by the publisher. I cannot provide any detail

regarding such topic.

11/ What can you tell us about the story?

We will publish information regarding this on our official site (www.appeal.be), in the frame of a campaign of gradual divulgation of Outcast 2 material. For the moment I cannot anticipate anything about this. I hope you'll be pacient...

12/ Will Infogrames be the publisher again?

Infogrames is currently Outcast 2's publisher.

13/ Does Outcast 2 plays again on Adelpha?

Yes. However, it is a different part of the planet, which means that you might fight many new surprises...

14/ Will it have multiplayer?

No.

Thanks

You're welcome!

Archived