CaptainRAVE

Do you like Sony?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Sony?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care
    • Never heard of them

Sony was forced to change the cables on its PlayStation One consoles, after the Dutch government refused to allow 800,000 units into the country, fearing they contained unsafe levels of cadmium.

"Although we have reservations about the interpretation of the regulations (by the Dutch authorities), we have begun replacing the cables," a Sony spokesman said. Sony hopes to get the units shipped in time for Christmas.

The Dutch environment ministry said that high cadmium concentrations were banned because "Cadmium damages the kidneys." Sony said that there could only be long-term environmental effects, and that they didn't plan a recall. Typical

:mad:

Guest Hannibal

I stopped chewing on cables last month so I'm not to worried about this.

or

You know what I really like? Those Cadmium chocolate easter eggs.

J/k In all seriousness makes you wonder how well the US government is protecting us from this kind of thing?

I don't go out of my way to buy any particular manufacturers products, so I voted 'Don't Care'. ;)

As for levels of cadmium etc., it's not just Sony. Nearly every manufacturer uses something they shouldn't, or in quantities that are not acceptable in certain countries.

Just look at the Dioxin debate that hit the headlines in the UK recently...you know, making bricks and things from ash containing levels of dioxins 1000+ times higher than our European counterparts would allow.

Someone, somewhere, is always trying to get away with something, and they'll quote you statistics until your head goes numb. It frankly sickens me how some of these people try to justify what they are doing.

So it doesn't really surprise me about Sony...or any other company. I guess we can expect to see more of this...but at least it proves someone, somewhere, is testing this stuff and trying to regulate it. ;)

Archived