Home

Jak and Daxter Review (ps2)

Tie Guy

Ok, for all of you who wanted to know if JaD is any good, i gave it a rent to hold me off unitl FFX comes out in a few days.

Graphics- They look great. Everything is nice and smooth and the terrain looks and plays great. the character models are nice and they move very fluidly. As i said, the animation is excellently done, and one move goes right into another seamlessly. the lighting in the game is also great. The world changes from day to night as you travel, and the lighting changes accordingly

Gameplay- Your character has 4 basic moves: Run, crouch, puch, and spin kick. However, while this may seem like a very few,t eh game has many combos. For instance, if you punch then press jump you will do a jumping puch, and leap into the air. then, if you press punch again, you will dice to the ground in a smash attack. When you hit the ground you will bounce up and you can do a spin kick in the air until you hit the ground again. There are many other combinations but that is my personal favorite. Along with these attacks are "eco," which is like the lifeforce of the planet. There are several different types of eco, and each one has a different effect. Green eco is used as health. Blue eco draws objects towards you and opens up doors that were locked before. It may also power up certain lifts or boxes. Red eco powers up your attack, letting you have greater range and double damage. Gold eco lets you shoot fireballs at your opponents, and dark eco takes away one block of health. Everytime you pick up a ball of eco, you have it for a limited time. The more you pick up, the longer you can have it. There are also vents that give you a full dose of that kind of eco. In the case of green eco, you can pick up 50 small balls or 1 large ball to gain 1 health unit. You can aquire these in all the enemies you kill or in boxes scattered around the world. You also have teh chance you fly a small plane around the world. Unfortunately, you can only get a few feet off the ground without a jump. I've also met a bird that ran around and could jump very high and glide for a second, and i assume there will be at least one more creature.

Story- You are Jak, and your friend Daxter is turned into an oosell (half otter half weasel) when he falls into a pit of dark eco. In order to turn him back, you have to find Gaul, a man who lives on the otehr side of the islands. You can't teleport there because the otehr sages in the rest of the world are missing. so, you have to colect precursor power cells to power different thing that let you reach new areas and accompish new things. Precursors are the ancient inhabitants of the world, and you can find artifacts of theirs, including power cells in many places. one way to aquire them is to collect enough orbs, other precursor artifacts, to trade with people who have power cells. Other ways include getting to the end of mazes, or doing little errands or odd jobs for people. So, the story itself is a little weak, but it makes for a fun adventure even if its not as epic as zelda.

Length- Well, no much to say here, its rather short. though i'm not sure of the exact length, i'm pretty sure that i'm about half way finsihed after the first night. Of course, you must realize that when i get a new game i play it about 6 hours a day, and often times more than that. And of course, i have to finish this game in about 2 more days before FFX comes out. So, that would leave us with 12-18 hours of gameply i'm guessing, so i could be long.

Sound- Nothing spectacular, nothing bad, not much else i can say really.

Overall it is a very fun game, and definately worth a rent if you like 3D platformers, or even if you just like a little action and adventure.

Archived