Home

Cyber CW038D on Win XP (HELP!)

Thorpie41

I have this CD RW and I am trying to run it on winXP. I have tried to get it to write a CD R with the windows software. However, Windows claims the disk did not finish writing before it ejects (it automatically ejects). I installed Nero and upgraded it with the latest download (compatible with XP) and tried to burn a CD R. The process gets about half way and then claims a SCSI target error was encountered. Thing is my drive is IDE/ATAPI. The drive also has problems with CD RWs. Windows often identifies them as CD Rs and I cannot write to them even if I erase data.

The drive did work previously on Win 98. However, I have been told that it does not like the DMA option on! When I accidentally installed DMA for all devices on win98 I got the Nero error. When I reformatted into win 98 without it, it worked fine.

I am beginning to think that win XP has automatically installed DMA for all devices and hence my CD RW will not work properly.

Can anybody suggest a way of sorting out my problem please?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Thorpie

:jawa

To change the device from DMA, go

control panel->system->hardware->device manager->ide ata/atapi controllers->secondary ide channel->advanced->change it from DMA.

Hope that works for you. It didn't work for my problem.

My cd-writer was running fine with xp for months. I installed a DVD-Rom and soundblaster live and after that my drive couldn't recognize a CD-R. It had all the normal functions of a cd-rom though.

I thought it might be a hardware problem with the writer but it works fine on a friend's computer.

Archived