Home

Editing

Indy4

Originally posted by TrUeFoRcE

my guess is that there will be editing, raven usually allows editing, plus editing was a huge part of normal JK so i dont see why it shouldnt be possible in jk2

I think editing JKII would be like editing Q3A...with QRadiant and program like that...but when it comes to skinning, you might need 3D Studio MAX, which costs a couple hundred bucks :eek:

You might wanna use gmax instead, because it's FREE and you can practically do a lot of things that you can do with 3D Studio MAX. Here is a little bit info:

Intended to be a fully capable 3D level editing, modeling, animation, and texture mapping tool, gmax™ ships with a full suite of professional 3D content and animation features. Discreet approved game developers can publish gmax "game packs", which customize the downloadable version of gmax into a fully featured level editor for supported game titles.

This is designed especially for those players, who wanna modify and edit games... :D

errr... right... I've been using Gmax for a while and I have concluded: I litterally can now be dubbed "Sir Suxalot" In 3d Editing.

I seriously find it VERY difficult to use it - it's probably just me. I'm a designer and I work with Graphics...

...This is a new field for me somewhat - and a small dilemma I have is wether I should get into the 'Editing' Community of JK2 or just Game and get good at it?

(Yes that is a question silly ;) plz I would like some feedback)

Maybe I should open up a new topic on wether I should Edit JK2 or just accept what comes (as in Mods and levels) and play to my hearts content.

Aye the problems of tomorrow shall I face today! (or soon)

I would really really appreciate some comments regarding my situation.

My Regards to you All,

AB_Legion_AB

~"Because I respect people who do something worthwhile"~

(P.S. - one small point is that I have looked into Q3 Editing and there are UNLIMITED Resources and things to learn, it is really endless - will JK2 be like that? or Hopefully will JK2 have a more structured center like Massassi & JK1 Editing? - Seriously I find the Q3 Editing much to vast for me. - I much prefer the Massassi 'style' of handling the JK1 Editing and I hope they also continue)

I've actually never editied for JK or Quake 3.....but I am hoping to learn when the game finally comes out after I've completed it at least 5 times. I know the basics, but not the complicated stuff. I should learn it pretty quick........and if I start downloading from the beginning I can get every single mod and level :)

Originally posted by Omne

Yeah...JK editing was fun, and I look forward to starting many levels that never see the light of day for JKII.

JK Map editing is a real pain. JED is the best program to edit maps but it is REALLY frustrating. JKEdit is easier to make, but you can only make simple JK maps...

By using a few tricks you will be able to use GtkRadiant to edit JK2. Only entities will become a problem but you'll probably get feedback on that from Raven.

Being good at the game and mapping at the same time is quite hard. I used to be with the top of Elite Force a few months ago, we won the clanbase finals. This season I don't get to play the big matches (quarter,semi,final) because I am not good enough anymore. At that moment I wondered if I made a mistake by focusing on mapping. But 1 week later I won the RavenBoards mapping competition, which was really rewarding... It is hard to make a choice, and sometimes you'll never know wether you made the right one.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Of course Raven could post JK2 game pack after game itself has been published, so editing it with gmax wasn't so hard. BTW, there is already tempest game pack which helps you to build and compile a Quake III level using the gmax. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth of checking out. I found it from gmaxsupport which also has additional tutorials(in quicktime format) and importers.

actually, JK editing was never sanctioned nor supported by LEC.

That's why the community had to make their own editing tools (JED, PJedi, etc.). The only reason JK is as editable as it is is due to the fact that when the JK team wrote the engine, they purposely made it editable because they knew that editing was going to happen anyway, and they supported it even if LEC didn't.

BTW, LEC has the final say as to JO being editable or not, though, considering the propagation of editing tools for each and ever Q3 engine game, and the extensive experience people have had with them (stretching back to Q2 or earlier), it'd be kind of strange for them to make JK2 uneditable. Especially when you consider someone will just hack it open and somehow make QeRadiant adaptable to the engine anyway...

It is possible that they could disallow editing in the EULA, such as what was planned for Obi-Wan back when it was for PC. Don't ask me why they would do that, given Half-Life's success with editing *coughcounterstrikecough*, seeing as it is now the most played multiplayer game EVER. But LEC has always had something about protecting the Star Wars licence by disallowing editing of any kind. Back in JK times, mods were not nearly as big as they are now, so as soon as counter-strike became popular they put their foot down on Obi-Wan. I sure hope they come to their sences and reallise editing is good for a game (and their sales... how many different half-life packages have you seen? ;) ).

Archived