Home

Do you think JK2:JO will be better than JK1?

Agen

Is Jk2 gonna be better than JK?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jk2 gonna be better than JK?

• Yep... it's gonna be better
    • Just the same...
    • Nope, there's no way it's gonna be as good

I voted no not because I think JKII would suck, but it's really hard to tell at this time, and there's a lot of elements to a game that makes it hard to compair. Sure, the graphics, and effects will definitely be better, we've seen that from the screen shots, but there could be other problems, perhaps with AI, game balance, story, etc.,

JK is already a classic, we know it and love it (or hate it), but it's already out for all to see, we know what's good about it, and what's bad (lag, limited saber moves), but despite all of the bad, I believe most people (here at least) would agree that Jedi Knight is Worthy.

JKII remains to be judged, so I cannot in good conscience vote JKII to be better, because it has not proven itself. So my vote really is more complex than what the voting booth will allow me to express. I don't think the same is appropriate either. But yeah...

I do have high hopes that JKII will aptly surpass it's predecessor. And of course, I think there'll always be some JK nut who will praise JK above all others, no matter how good JK II turns out to be.

JK will end up be very memorable to me for many reasons, but I always felt there was tons of room for improvement.

Let's get real here. Lucasarts is basically known for making mediocre if not down right terrible games, so JK really suprised me. But JK still had numerous shortcomings.

Also when they were making Obi-Wan and they tried to use that silly glyph system and cancelled the game, and now look at how bad it has ended up on the X-Box.

My point is I don't think Jedi Knight 2 would be even half as good as its looking right now if only Lucasarts was making it. IMO Raven is the real talent here. Sorry to doubt you guys at LA, but you have a pretty bad track record.

I don't doubt for 1 second that this game will surpass JK in every way possible.:)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Never put your hopes to high on a game, because problems can cause you to lose your misplaced faith.

I was a true believer of Tribes 2. When I got it, I could barely run it. They didn't have support for Voodoo and the gameplay was horrible. No one wanted to be a teammate, they all just wanted to go rambo.

I left it a while. Eventually a patch came out which, rather than helping, destroyed the game. Arguments began to pop up everywhere about Dynamix's competency. Then one day, Sierra killed Dynamix. I was close friends with some of the DEV team, and they just quit playing when Sierra announced it was closing Dynamix's doors. Marweas the Weasal was behind it all, having a personal grudge with DaveG -- QIX.

I know LEC isn't a malevolent and tyrannical dictator like Sierra, but since Tribes 2 I haven't bought a game in advance. I hope I'll be able to try the demo and love JK2.

Hmmm this be a tough question

its hard to judge if a game is "better" than another game cos there are so many elements

jk2 has a lot 2 live up 2, i mean, jk is so good that its lasted for 4 years, thats quite the feat

hopefully the series will continue 2 get better as it has ;)

i.e. DF was good, jk was better, hopefully jk2 will be better still

guess we can only hope

(and send mild death threats to the raven developers, sayin that if they screw up..... ;) )

Alright... who's the other guy who voted no... Time for an ass whoopin! :D

But seriously, I believe the only thing that was wrong with JK was the saber control system (besides the netcode... *shudder*). You had very limited control and hit-and-run attacks with secondary donimated the field. What they have here looks to be an expansion of the JK control system. JK had 6 attacks, 1 for each direction (forward, back, left, right = 4), secondary fire, and that triple swing that you do if your running. The problem was that, even without secondary fire, none of the directional attacks were used because you had to move out of your way to use them and they had no advantage over the other attacks; they were just the primary attack with a different anim.

JKII seems to be heading down the same path, albeit with improvements. Arobatics, stances, and more attacks is all good, but not if their completely useless and you have to go out of your way to use them, like in JK. I hope something is done to rectify this problem.

The other thing i wanted to talk about was the hit-and-run saber duels in JK. Something definately should be done to direct players to stand still and move forward and back a little bit, while still attacking and blocking. I remember something being said about this earlier, but I'm not sure how it's possible. Perhaps slowing people down while swinging, or somehow making moving players easy to dodge and counter-attack, i dont know. I just hope SOMETHING is done.

I voted it will be better because it must be better than JK1. There isn't any other acceptable alternative.

Sure it could be a big stinkin pile of crap but I don't think it will be.

If JK2 does suck it will be tragic as the Star Wars universe is perfect for computer/console gaming. It already has so many things going for it, a moving musical score, dynamic conflict, creative ships, weapons, characters, and locations.

I too am cautiously optimistic, and don't buy any games that come out without reading reviews now, but I think Raven is going to come through on this one.

It all comes down to the gamplay. Undoubtedly the graphics, sound, and net-code will be better. Those things come as technology advances. I personally think (from what I've seen so far) the weapons will be better. I can't say which is better overall until I've played it. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Of course, if JK2 isn't legally editable, that's a major blow in it's own respect...

Originally posted by Broode

The other thing i wanted to talk about was the hit-and-run saber duels in JK. Something definately should be done to direct players to stand still and move forward and back a little bit, while still attacking and blocking.

If you're wanting to see saber duels faught with all of the artistry and grace of a classic sword fight, I sincerely doubt that that will ever happen in this game; the reasons for which should be fairly obvious.

;)

Admittedly, I do share your dream.

Guest X-Vector

I just voted "no", if you must know.

Of course there is no way we can accurately tell just how good JO is because none of us have played it, so I'm going by Raven's track record and what I've read and seen of the game until now and I'm comparing that to the impact JK had on me when it was released (and a considerable time after).

I simply don't believe right now that JO will impress me as heavily as JK did, for one thing because Raven's game 'only' seems to want to improve on the many new qualities that JK pioneered and which made that game not only a superior playing experience, but an important milestone in action gaming as well (for one thing, I think that JK influenced Valve to a considerable extent and is in some way co-responsible for the magnificence of Half-Life).

It goes without saying that I'd like Raven to prove me wrong though.

But seriously, I believe the only thing that was wrong with JK was the saber control system (besides the netcode... *shudder*). You had very limited control and hit-and-run attacks with secondary donimated the field. What they have here looks to be an expansion of the JK control system. JK had 6 attacks, 1 for each direction (forward, back, left, right = 4), secondary fire, and that triple swing that you do if your running. The problem was that, even without secondary fire, none of the directional attacks were used because you had to move out of your way to use them and they had no advantage over the other attacks; they were just the primary attack with a different anim.

JKII seems to be heading down the same path, albeit with improvements. Arobatics, stances, and more attacks is all good, but not if their completely useless and you have to go out of your way to use them, like in JK. I hope something is done to rectify this problem.

The other thing i wanted to talk about was the hit-and-run saber duels in JK. Something definately should be done to direct players to stand still and move forward and back a little bit, while still attacking and blocking. I remember something being said about this earlier, but I'm not sure how it's possible. Perhaps slowing people down while swinging, or somehow making moving players easy to dodge and counter-attack, i dont know. I just hope SOMETHING is done.

I think if the saber blocking is as good as it sounds, enabled by poly-to-poly collisions, you should be able to block so well that you'll have to stay in close to get a hit.

As for acrobatics, look at the SBX evasion; it's an extremely valuable and often-used move, and all it is is a forward flip.

As for the value of using them, it's to get past your opponent's saber. In JK, this was easy almost to the extreme. In JKII, it looks like it won't :D

Originally posted by Nyghtfall

If you're wanting to see saber duels faught with all of the artistry and grace of a classic sword fight, I sincerely doubt that that will ever happen in this game; the reasons for which should be fairly obvious.

;)

Admittedly, I do share your dream.

That's why the animations are made so pretty; so you won't have to go out of your way to make duels look as spectacular as the movies :D :D

Archived