Home

Transformers news

Flying Beastie

A little stale, but the latest issue of Animerica has an article on TF: Robots in Disguise. Old news, right? Well, in the article, an interesting tidbit is unearthed:

Apparently, the next stage in the Transformers franchise is taking shape. The new series is called Transformers: Armada (only a working title, I presume), and fan speculation is apparently rampant (though this was the first I'd heard of it).

The rumours (which is all we have right now) include:

*The series will be fully CG, like Beast Wars or Beast Machines.

*It will star Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, and other "classics."

*It will occur between the original series and Beast Wars.

*It will (somehow) unify all the disparate timelines (Classic 'toon, Comics, Animé, Beast Wars, Japanese Beast Wars, Car Robots, and RiD) into a single continuity. :eek:

As the fifth (in America; Japan has had seven so far) Transformers series, Armada will make TF the undisputed spin-off champion in cartoon history (IIRC, the Gundam lineage is the current record holder).

Is this the very essence of leetness, or what?

Basilisk; once a Transfan, always a Transfan. :cool:

Originally posted by Assassin

Umm..thats great...but wasn't the last transformers (the crappy anime style one that aired on Fox) highly anticipated?

That's RiD (of which the entire series/season has apparently aired but for the last five-or-so eps). It's actually not that bad once you accept that it's borrowing elements from every other TF continuity and throwing them all together.

I also get the feeling RiD has been dumbed down from the original Japanese version (called Car Robots). There's a lot of plot exposition that's just not there, and some of the character development seems odd. I get the feeling that the original was meant to be a little more serious; the Americanized version is just a kiddie show.

Originally posted by Poor Bastard

GI Joe > Transformers

*rolls over PB in a tank, then transforms and steps on him*

I dunno, I kinda liked Beast Machines, even if it was different from any previous series. It made a good End for the Transformers saga (the series takes place several centuries in the future, BTW).

I'm surprised that no one's done anything with the big dead space in the middle of the G1 continuity.

Y'see, G1 began (explicitly stated, IIRC) in 1984-85. Then we have TF: The Movie which takes place in 2005, and another two seasons of the series happen in 2006 (and early 2007). Apparently, during that intervening 20 years, Spike and Carly married (and had Daniel, who was ~16 in the movie), contact was established between Cybertron and Earth, Autobot City was built, and the Decepticons gained control of Cybertron (while the Autobots held Cybertron's 2 moons and Earth.

<small>Of course, I have my own fan continuity, which exists independently of just about everything, so :p.</small>

Archived