Home

Where does Imagination Fit in Developing Games?

Magi Eric

Where does Imagination Fit in Developing Games?

Where does imagination, creative thinking, innovation fit in the process of developing games? Obviously all the way through. But if there was extra money in the budget to hire a consultant specializing in facilitating creative thinking, imagination, or innovation, what is the most ideal segment of the game developing process to bring on such a person? Any thoughts? Any success stories or flops?

I ask because when I look into industry materials, most of what I see is articles and discussions on developer engines, software, technical questions and advice.

What I'm trying to find is the place on the development pipeline to put my wrench, so to speak. I specialize in facilitating deep imagination and I want a better understanding of where the game developer could use extra help.

While I'm initiating a thread, maybe I should also announce here an online discussion my company, Innovation Catalysts, Inc. (http://www.innovationcatalysts.net) started for imagination at work--any kind of work, whether film, games, theme parks, etc. Here is the discussion description:

Imagination at Work

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imaginationatwork

Welcome to the Imagination at Work On-line Discussion. The mission of this discussion group is to share ideas, resources, and experiences, bringing together creative project challenges with insights and images from deep imagination. We work to develop higher imagination for Big Innovation at the edge of Business. Gain magical access to possibilities beyond ordinary thinking. Open the gates of your mind to real creative ideas. Test out your ideas. Learn how to apply powerful imagination techniques. Discuss how to embody or incarnate your great ideas into real form with complete creative development processes. Watch what happens as a result.

I look forward to replies and continued conversation.

Magi Eric

I would think most of the creative thinking would occur during the planning of the game. That is when the ideas are thrown all over the place and then a put together in a logical fashion.

Games are too focused on technical issues these days such as game engines, frame rates etc. I think the focus should be brought back to where it is needed, the planning stage. Creating a world and story that is believable and immersive.

Games are too focused on technical issues these days such as game engines, frame rates etc. I think the focus should be brought back to where it is needed, the planning stage. Creating a world and story that is believable and immersive

Right, but do remember that you need to know the technical limits of the software you are developing with, and the platform you're developing for. There's no point thinking of a wonderful and amazing story if you can't impliment it.

Also i think it depends on the dev team, amature ones often work alone or in smaller groups, so everyone gets a say meaning more ideas, possibly a more varied or unique storyline? Whereas professionals do have people assigned to just the storyline and ideas, and the way it's thought up is probably a lot more logical and often based on a previous things. I guess all developers are always trying to improve upon an existing game or whatever though, so the basis for ideas is already there.

True, if your gonna write a book or something like that, your not gonna just sit down and right it straight off, and not change anything at all after you've written it down. Your gonna be looking for better ways to phrase things, ways you can make the plot more logical, and so on....

The same applies when planning a game.

Thanks for the many responses so far.

Yes, I can see that the creative process goes on even up to the release of beta. Developers are constantly thinking, imagining, deciding what fits in and what doesn't. And yes I can see that technological understanding is crucial for bridling the creative ideas with the constraints of the technology at hand.

I get a good feeling from my research and discussions that the planning stage is where outside help and consultation is most likeley, at least for the longest stretch of time. Then perhaps consultation might be called upon at critical development moments later on, but not for very long at a stretch.

It seems the critical thing is to get in on the early side, in planning, brainstorming, concept development, and then be available on an as-needed basis.

I'd love to hear further impressions.

Magi Eric

http://www.innovationcatalysts.net

Join Imagination at Work

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/imaginationatwork

Archived