Home

How difficult...?

Darth Tiax

Hello everybody of a dead person! Sorry if this has been discussed before, but... How difficult do you think jk2 will be? I mean, the original jk sp, although awesome in other aspects, wasn't really that tough. In fact, it was far too easy.

(Except the 1st level... Bah, it's STILL causing me trouble sometimes:rolleyes: !) And this isn't coming from some über-fps-player. Actually, jk was the FIRST (non-shareware, anyway) shooter I played seriously... And beated it in 2 or 3 days on hard. (Although I DID play through the demo like 25 times beforehand...)

Some blame (in the last few levels) goes to the far-too-powerful-in-sp light force powers. Like, in a tough spot, simply turn invisible. Or invulnerable. And if you somehow DO manage to get hurt, simply use heal. Stupid.

Force Pull was also too good. (Makes at least blinding & grip pretty much useless in sp, except for the coolness factor, of course:) )

I really hope that jk2 will not have these problems... One thing I especially love to see in games is some sort of nightmare-difficulty, like the one in doom 1&2 (iirc) or "insane" in fs2 (I could pass the game on hard relatively easily, but insane? I was stuck in mission THREE for a long time...:( )

What do you think? What could have made the JK sp more challenging and the force powers more balanced?

Yeah, LEC&Raven need to create a fine balance between it being a challenging game and it being realistic to the SW universe. You're a Jedi after all, we always see those kicking butt with ease unless faced by another force using opponent. But anywho I hope that it'll be both fun and a challenge to complete, so basically, hard, but no so hard that it'll drive me insane. But anywho like Simon said, the new AI should make things more of a challenge, now the stormtroopers will at least run for cover when you lob them a thermal detonator. Instead of rather walking to it like they did in JK. And other stuff that'll make them look less mindless and more of an opponent worth facing.

Welcome to the forums, Darth Tiax. Hope you enjoy your stay. Here...

*hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*

I too think JKII will be a bit more challenging than JK. You do have a point when it comes to the Force powers later on in JK...it did get progressively easier against the standard enemies, though the Dark Jedi were gradually more challenging. :)

Of course, there is a chance that they might make it too challenging in parts...but I doubt it. I actually found time to play through Elite Force from beginning to end a few days ago...and although some parts were tough...and required a reload after dying...it didn't take very long to figure out exactly what to do. Some other games, like Red Faction and RTCW, had a few places where I died several times, and had to try lots of different tactics until I found the right ones. That is not making the game more challenging, IMHO...just plain difficult, especially when just a few shots take you down. Having to continuously reload just to get past one section does not a happy gamer make. ;)

If EF and SOF are anything to go by, I think Raven will do a good job of balancing the game for difficulty. As long as JKII is twice as long as EF (it took me under 10 hours to complete), then it should be very good.

Archived