Home

Space Platforms

General Nilaar

Does anyone else think the Space Platform type levels (like in Starcraft) seem like a really bad idea? For that matter it didn't make sense for Starcraft either....

It just seems really fake. Yes, I know they're not going for realism, after all you never see Imperial forces building farms or anything, but the space platforms are really out there. Might as well have a level take place on a star or something:rolleyes:

If they had just taken the same idea, but made it into a Cloud City type level it would have done the same thing and wouldn't have seemed half as stupid.

Whats so wrong with space platforms? Couldn't you you just rationalize that there is some kind of enviormental shield around it?

Originally posted by observer_20000

They use forcefields, ones that are meant to keep in the atmosphere, but not meant to stop ships.

LIke the ones they use on docking bays. When ships come into the bays all the people don't fall down and die. Not even the ones without a helmet.

Originally posted by thrawn12786

Hypothetical question: What if the ship that came into the docking bay was O shaped, like a long cylender, but with a hole in the middle. Would the atmosphere leak out of the docking bay? :D

Good theory :D But I'd think that the ship would have some sort of env. shielding.

It's funny to picture though, a whole bunch of men getting sucked out, hehehe! ;)

Not to put this thread back on topic but...

What if in the space missions they only let you have space ships (xwing, ywing, TIE-fighter, TIE-Bommers, Star Destroyers...)

I hadn't heard they were planing on letting you use ground troops in space...

Originally posted by Wraith 5

Not to put this thread back on topic but...

What if in the space missions they only let you have space ships (xwing, ywing, TIE-fighter, TIE-Bommers, Star Destroyers...)

I hadn't heard they were planing on letting you use ground troops in space...

Yes they are letting you use them kind of like Star Craft. Exept it is like an obital station and lets say there are three Orbital Spacestations between 2 planets...you can put them there. Like Golan IV defense stations. And also you can fight on them.

take this link

http://www.galacticbattles.com/multimedia/screenshots/15.jpg

It shows space platforms. About those Golan IV that was my imagination running wild:D I was saying that you could make a small mass of space platform and put AAtowers all over it. A fighter couldn't come near it so it would be hearded into my fleet or another "GolanIV":D

Originally posted by Wraith 5

sorry darth where did you see that the space missions were going to be on space platforms???

and did i miss something....

booya what are you talking about???

He's talking about the O shaped ship. They would be devastating weapons. Just put the shields down and park in the middle of the docking shield, taking holos of the men flying through your ship into space. :eek:

I really don't think it's necessary to make sense of everything in Star Wars, I mean look at all the other stuff they do that's impossible, they go at speeds millions of times faster then light, and the way the DS blew up Alderaan, that would require more power, then our sun produces in 7000 years, a lot of it doesn't make sense, it's just technology that is beyond our comprehension (some of it), I mean how do you think a guy in the 15 century would have reacted to a car, or a TV, and they're only about 500 years behind us, technilogically, Star Wars is at least tens of thousands of years ahead of us.

Guest Admiral Thrawn

Yes, it's called having fun, and not taking everything for granite.

In some places people complain about E1 and the older movies units being together. I see it as a chance to play the civs against each other even though they are hundreds of years apart.

Guest Tie Guy

granite is a rock :D be we don't take take everything for granted either. :D

Anyway, that is what makes Star Wars so good, the technology and tryingto understand it. Its not like star treks cheap phasers or whatever, every part of the Star Wars universe has an explanation, a futuristic explanation, and that is why it is so cool. Of course, it does have it's inconsistancies, just like everything else.

Hey you don't see me complaining about farms, or barracks that produce an endless stream of troops do you? But the space platforms are just weird. Suspension of disbelief is important, and they could get the exact same effect with a Bespin type terrain and it would look cooler to boot.

I wouldn't mind special space levels where only the starfighters were allowed. They wouldn't be used often, but they would make for a nice change of pace occasionally.

Put in both terrains, and you get the best of both worlds.

Archived