Home

Windows XP, the ultimate gaming OS? (post thoughts here)

Chanke4252

Hi everyone, just wanted to see what everyone thinks of XP when dealing with games. I personally have yet to see a problem. I can run games on XP that I havent been able to run since I had 95 (Interstate 76 being one of them). It starts them quickly, doesnt take up excessive system resources when playing them, and shuts them down without problems. I have yet to encounter an error with any of the games in my MASSIVE library.

Originally posted by Broode

How about dos games? I love my old collection and apparently XP emulates dos REALLY poorly.

Some DOS games will not work with WinXP as MS does state but listen to this. I still have the original Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM and they run perfectly! Out of all the programs that I have and I have many and many games as well, I've yet to find a game that WinXP does not like! I'm sure there are some out there but I've found it to be extremely stable and performs as good if not better than WinME which I had very little problems with. WinXP really let's you have the best of both worlds....oh incidentally...I run XP in NTFS and not FAT32!

Hehe, I got XP Pro from a dads friend and I have to tell, its stable and fast as hell, AND supports SMP (dual processors). Reason Im using it is b/c pretty soon Im making a dual athlon system and going to run JO with both of them, since it is built on the Q3 engine, and the Q3 engine has SMP hard coded into it, albeit its a bit tricky to get working the first time. And yes, just about all my old dos RPG's work beautifully, and if they dont, I make a boot disk with a mem manager, and msdos 6.1, and everything works great. Only Ultima Underworld has problems with XP, but I beat it long time ago.:3headed:<==I sense a Monty Pythonish with this, no?

"<i>one advantage of ntfs over fat32 is that the "default allocation size", the smallest that a sector can be, can be set to 512k. for fat32 i think it is twice that, 1024k. as a result, files smaller than the default size still take up the 1024k. so, ntfs makes more efficient use of the disk space. it's like being able to round up to the nearest half instead of up to the nearest whole number</i>"

In fat32 you can boot to dos though.... which is good for those old dos games :)

ntfs is pretty much better for file security though... and thats about it.

Some games work better, some games work worse, some games won't run at all (dos games in mind).

Personally I'm now back to Win98 after doing a cleansweep and just awaiting JK2 with my almost fresh comp. :p

Archived