Home

Going Gold 3/9/2002!?!

GonkH8er

I don't know about you guy (although I can probably guess) but all I can say is that it better come out soon. Some of you may know what I'm talking about when I say that I have a two year committment that comes around in may that where I won't be able to play JO. I just want it out so I can beat it before then. Gonk, I just hope your sources are right.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding crosses and British flags:

proc1606.gif

There were multiple proposed designs (not all surviving) as one would expect with a flag.

uk1606.gif

Some Scots vessels used an unofficial version where the St. Andrews's cross went over the St. George's cross. The width of the white line (or fimbration) around the St.George's cross has also been a matter of debate. Actual flags from the period suggest that the fimbration was quite wide. The shade of blue started as a sky blue, but gradually became darker over the centuries.

In 1634, after some disputes concerning saluting ships in the Channel, Charles I partially repealed his father's proclamation:

proc1634.gif

To this day civilian vessels are not permitted to use the Union Jack. They have their own Jack (a white bordered Union Jack) and the courtesy flag is an appropriately coloured ensign (red for civil vessels, blue for government vessels, and white for naval vessels).

The execution of Charles I on the 30th January 1649, brought an end to the union of England and Scotland. The Union Flag no longer made sense so the English Parliament ordered the Admiralty to chose a new design. This was to be the first of several design used until the restoration of Charles II in May 1660 restored the pre-1649 flags.

In 1707, Queen Anne completed the task that James had started - a complete union of England and Scotland. The first article of the Treaty of Union stated that the flag would be the crosses of St. George and St. Andrew conjoined in such a manner as the Queen saw fit. Queen Anne decided to keep the existing design.

Up until 1801 Ireland had been a separate kingdom. In 1800 an Act of Union was passed to create the new United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, to come into effect on the 1st January 1801. The College of Arms designed a new flag with the Cross of St. Patrick counter-changed with the Cross of St. Andrew. The inclusion of St. Patrick's cross is of interest as St. Patrick was not martyred and therefore did not have a cross. The red saltire on white was the emblem of the powerful Irish Fitzgerald family and was a convenient symbol for Ireland:

uk1801.gif

Over the years the shape of the flag has gradually changed to its current proportions of one to two. This was caused by a steady decrease in the width of the cloth used to make the flags. The specifications were in the form of so many widths high by so many yards long. This meant that as the width of cloth reduced the flag apparently became longer and longer:

uktoday.gif

The Union Jack or Union Flag

When the 'Union Jack' was first introduced, in 1606, it was known simply as 'the British flag' or 'the flag of Britain', and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name 'Union' appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the 'Union Jack', but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word 'jack' as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just 'the Jack', or 'Jack flag', or 'the King's Jack', but by 1674, while formally referred to as 'His Majesty's Jack', it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

Quoted liberally from http://www.flaginstitute.org/fiunionflag.htm (The Flag Intitute)

Ya I agree that they will only release the demo after the retail game because they have nothing to gain by releasing a demo...because the majority of us will purchase it before playing the demo...We are hooked already and we are the majority so they don't want to let the largest chunk of buyers see any problems with the game...and like most of us after we purchase a game we will defend our it within an inch of our digital lives...and the ones who will wait for a demo before buying will wait for the demo...

I still believe that this game will kick butt and will buy it before playing a demo...Just the thought makes my light sabre thob with joy....

PS: dont get me wrong I still would love a demo to play!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'd love to see it go gold tomorrow. Also, to clear something up, when they make CDs, they stamp them, they don't burn them. Burning them would take forever. But I'd love to see the game go gold 3/9/02 (or for the rest of world who isn't like us Americans, 9/3/02) That means that we'd have it about midway through the week after next.

it's just a black page with some screenshots pasted and some text saying something to the extent of 'what would a jedi be without his lightsaber' .. really, it's not worth seeing it at all and it doesn't mention a date

I hope that the continental drift picks up in the next couple of days thusly forcing all continents back into one large land mass, just like the good old days. Then we can simply be one people, one nation under one flag, with only one standard of recording date. It will be a beautiful utopia where all people are equal and recieve games at the same time. I will be the supreme monarch of this new country and I will decree that jk2 be released march 9 2002 (9/3/02 or 03/09/02 or maybe even 02/03/09). This new land will be called Bob and will bring peace and prosperity to all of my vassals,.......LONG LIVE ME!!!!!!! .......LONG LIVE ME!!!!!!!

:ion::explode:

Archived