Home

Help on video cards...please

MustangMatt302

Originally posted by MustangMatt302

I am a quarter french canadian anyways. I'll go buy the 8500LE tomorrow at Best Buy. Sweet.........I wonder if I'll notice the differences from the present (almost ex) PCI Nvidia Vanta?.....humm

:jango:

gee i wonder, ummm, how old is the vanta again? of course you'll see a difference

I can speak from experience and say the 8500 is a good card. I have the 64mb version and have had no problems. The 8500LE is basically a powered down 8500, instead of a clock speed of 275/550 mhz, you're getting 250/500 mhz. Other than that I dont know of much difference between the two. The GF4 Ti4600 is the newest fastest thing but too expensive, A Radeon 8500 or a GF3 Ti500 should do great on JK2 and are probably about the same price. Radeon is a bit cheaper as far as I know. Both the 8500 and GF3 Ti500 will be able to handle the next gen games such as Doom 3 and Unreal 2 as well. When I got my 8500 I noticed a huge difference in speed and quality over my old Voodoo 3000. Good luck with whatever card you get.

As already mentioned, newegg.com is excellent.

I would highly recommend going through a repudible online reseller as opposed to a retailer such as Best Buy. You'll more than likely save a bundle this way.

I've been researching the hell out of the latest vid cards lately, and I've pretty much gotten it down to two choices. One thing to take into consideration here is the fact that I refuse to spend more than $150(US) for a vid card. I realize that this usually confines me to last years mid to high end models, or todays crap. But I don't care. Spending $300-500 for something I'm gonna toss out in 2 years is just stupid IMHO.

Right now I'm seriously considering a Geforce3 Ti-200 based card. To be specific I'm looking at Gainward's CARDEXPERT Powerpack with 64mb of DDR or 128mb of DDR memory. Both cards will easily overclock to Ti-500 speeds, yet they cost considerably less. The 64mb model can be had in retail form for $145 from newegg. And the 128 mb model is $169 from newegg as well. Whether or not the 128mb model actually yields better performance remains to be discovered on my part. I'm having a hard time finding any reviews on that specific config.

The one thing that's holding me back right now on the Gainward is the yet to be released Geforce4 4200 line. I'm wondering if this card will really be that much faster, or just a waste of another $20+.

Anywho, that's my thoughts on vid cards right now.

I'd also like to echo the recommendation to steer waaaay clear of anything MX right now. They're all a waste of money when you consider the much better options that exist for just a small amount more (or sometimes even less).

The best bang for the buck is the ATI Radeon 8500 for $138 through http://www.pricewatch.com. The fastest card is the GF 4 Ti 4600 $375 (through pricewatch again). For $275, you buy the GF4 Ti 4400 (the I one I ordered at Micro Pro through pricewatch) and it has everything the 4600 has except the clock speed is 25 MHz slower and the memory is 100 MHz slower....this translates into a loss of only 2 to 5 max fps on average for only $100 less. You can get great components online for cheap (from reliable resellers) if you know where to look. To see if a reseller has a good rating, you can go by http://www.resellerratings.com which is rated by consumers like you and I.

G4 MX440 64M DDR DV-i, TV-o, AGP4x Special Edition (with Golden Orb VGA Low profile fan ) $180 Canadian

G3 Ti200 64M 4.4ns DDR TV-o, AGP4x, TV-Out $235 Canadian

Gf-4 Ti4600-TD 128M DDR w/ TV-out, DV-i, AGP4x (retail box) $600 Canadian

Radeon 8500, 64MB DDR AGP4x, DVi, DB15 Dual display, Video-out $315 Canadian

Radeon 8500 64MB DDR AGP4x, DVi/DB15 Dual display, Video-out (OEM / retail) $260/270

Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR AGP4x, TV--out ( retail) $300 Canadian (Whats LE?)

G3 Ti500 64M 4.0ns DDR DV-i, TV-o, AGP4x $450 Canadian

G2 Ti100 64M DDR VIVO, AGP4x $180 Canadian

G4 MX440 64M DDR DV-i, TV-o, AGP4x $185 Canadian

Hercules Prophet2 Titanium 64M DDR AGP4x $210 Canadian

Hercules Prophet 4500 64M SDRAM AGP4x $145 ($185 w/ Tvout) Canadian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats best deal!?!? How are these HErculese Prophets cards?

This is Canadian cash folks!

Whats best for the $?

Hey all,

Thanks for that info on newegg.com I looked there and the GF3 is as you say only 145 bucks. I was going to buy it from Best Buy where it worked out to 140 w/rebate, but thats the Visiontek one. Now there are quite a few brands of GF3 Ti200 on newegg, I was thinking the Gainward is the best, due to overclockiing, but any ideas? Shipping is free? And, do they have the lifetime guarentee as Leadtek and Visiontek do?

Thanks.

I also brought ATI Radeon 8500. Holy S*** it is totally incredible video card. :joy: I loooovvve this Video Card. It look so awesome on Unreal Tornment, man man man great graphic, it's just too incrediblity awesome. I kept mouth open for a whole day and drooling. Also great Tv/out.

If you want speed get Geforce 4. .:racer:

If you want the best graphic get Ati Radeon.

Beside they're too faster for the latest games.:racer::joy:

Archived