Home

The AT-AT debate... should they fire air units?

Compa_Mighty

I don't think mechs should be able to crush troops. I've played RTS games with that feature and it's just a pain in the butt. I always hated to see 10+ ground units get ran over by one tank. If that were true all mele units like jedi and beserkers would be absolutely worthless because they would just get ran over. Now how would that be a good thing to add to this game?

I don't see the Empire being imbalanced. The Empire's weakness is air. With the addition of air crusers the Empire needed a way to compensate for there weakness. So At-At can shoot at air units.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"people, is this all realistic ?

look at your average games... when does it come down to a unit being able to hit another certain unit ?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only think of one game where the balance would be ruined. If siege tanks in starcraft could fire at air units the game would be very, very imbalanced.

Originally posted by polaris_crd

I don't think mechs should be able to crush troops. I've played RTS games with that feature and it's just a pain in the butt. I always hated to see 10+ ground units get ran over by one tank. If that were true all mele units like jedi and beserkers would be absolutely worthless because they would just get ran over. Now how would that be a good thing to add to this game?

I don't see the Empire being imbalanced. The Empire's weakness is air. With the addition of air crusers the Empire needed a way to compensate for there weakness. So At-At can shoot at air units.

Melee units could be made so they are uncrushable which would still make them useful, but the thing is, the crush ability won't happen, so nothing to worry about anyway....

Thank you Compa. I am rather big on keeping things from Unreality grounded to reality...if that made sense.

The Empire is a "Rookie" team. Dangerous with Newb's, and incredibly dangerous in the hands of an expert. But, think, what was TRULY unique about the Empire before now? The Dark Trooper was just a slight increase on the AT-PT. Let's look at the other teams: (I don't have CC yet, so I won't include the new teams/units)

Rebel Alliance: A flying Mech Destroyer, the Snowspeeder.

Royal Naboo:Err...Nothing comes to mind...Guys on horses with flaming sticks?:sweat:

Trade Federation:The power of a Heavy Destroyer Droid.

Wookies:A very fast, destructive, deranged psychopathic Sword-weilding Bear known as a Berserker.

Gungans:A movable shield generator.

The Empire:Nothing that unique. An armored trooper.

Now, the Dark Trooper could be good, but it is outclassed by it's Trade Federation cousin. Now, giving the Empire a unique advantage will cause them to become even with other teams in the unique area.:atat::sspeeder::wookiee::dtrooper:

THIS POST HAS gONE ON TOO LONG ABOUT THE MOST POINTLESS TOPIC!!!!!

The AtAt aa attack was only added to make the game more realistic. AA troops and mobiles still decimate air. AtAts can't match that. AtAt's can barely kill a couple. AtAts should just be used as support for aa. Airspeeders still own them as do the better jedi, better rc's, beserkers, mech destroyers, air cruisers, and mounties. The AtAt has too slow of a rate of fire to down air effectively. All this does is makes the Empire more unique and so you don't have to lose 350 nova per unit when one or two fighters pop up out of nowhere and the AtAt's are forced to slowly retreat back to aa cover. IT HARDLY UNBALANCES THE GAME BUT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE THE POWER TO CRUSH OR CROSS WATER CAUSE THAT WOULD UNBALANCE THE GAME.

Originally posted by Natopo

I think AT-ATs should be the most advanced unit in the game!

They took out a rebel base, they destroyed a colony on Dantooine, etc. etc. They should have many advantages.

And one rebel fighter destroyed the Death Star...

Kryllith

Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe

I posted this earlier in this post, but it would appear that most ignored it or didn't bother to read all the posts. I think if the following equation were followed than everyone's concerns would be laid to rest:

Personally. I think that AT-ATs should be able to fire at aircraft, However I think that it should be a percentage of the time. Like 10% of the oppurtunities for shots should actually work to represent the aircraft travelling through the AT-AT's limited vertical firing arc. Lets be honest, an AT-AT can not tilt it's head up at a 45 degree andgle to target fighters and bombers in the atmosphere, but it's logical to assume that if the aircraft were performing a strafing/bombing run against the AT-AT, the aircraft would probably fly through the AT-AT's firing arc at some time.

I think you're cutting their ability to hit just a tad bit low. The guns on the side of the AT-AT head are actually quite manueverable, allowing them to fire up, down, and backwards (to a degree). They can also spread a bit, and focus together (there's a good shot in ESB where an AT-AT focus its side cannons together to shoot down a speeder right next to it). Granted, they would have some problems shooting behind them and to their sides, but mechs in GB can turn on a dime (granted, unrealistically) so this wouldn't be a problem. To make up for the lack of turning realism, though, I'd say giving them a 50% chance to miss might serve, especially against faster air vehicles like the speeders...

Kryllith

Originally posted by Sardaukar

Melee units could be made so they are uncrushable which would still make them useful, but the thing is, the crush ability won't happen, so nothing to worry about anyway....

Agreed, it's pointless to talk about crushing troops because the smaller troops WILL move out of the way of the feet of a large, slow moving, foot (unless said troop is stuck in a crashed snowspeeder). Luke had no problem avoiding the feet of the Walker in ESB so I doubt troops would have any more of a problem... unless they were packed so tightly that they couldn't manuever).

Kryllith

Archived