Home

Dueling tips

rahl

Anyone have any dueling tips? I win more than I lose against Padawans, but Jedi enemies win two out of three against me. Also, when you guys are practicing against bots, what force settings do you use? I've been playing w/Padawan force level, b/c I get really annoyed when enemy bots start throwing lightning when I'm trying to work on my lightsaber skillz. Any help appreciated.

-rahl

-jump and evade saber throws and swings. we dont want a quik duel do we? ;)

-also use saber throw often! when u see a free spot chunk that lightsaber like no tomorrow!

-WALLS ARE UR FRIENDS!! do all types of wall walks,cartwheels,etc etc to get behind ur opponent and slice his body in half (how our great sith darth maul went down :( )

-start duels in secluded but open areas. those lil bastiges that hunk rockets at duelers just causes ur death not a distraction for the other player. (i really despise them).

well thats all i got right now ill think of more later when im not tired. ;)

d4rth

:guard::fett::guard:

Anyone have tips on how to hit your target reliably with the saber. One time, I was right behind a guy who wasn't paying attention. I took a big swing, appeared to hit him, then he turns around and I'm dead. Is this force lag or soemthing? Yeesh.

Be aware of the hit range of your sabre in different attack styles.

In Fast mode, your range is about 1.5 -2 feet. Only way you're going to hit someone with fast style is as your running by and you turn toward them and attack. Or in a full on press. ONLY use fast if you simply CANT work on them more strategically. A good reason to use fast would be in a FFA battle when you've got 3-4 people on you and swinging wildly may be ur best bet.

In medium style you've got half decent range, and this style is the perfered "finish" style. You want to make your opponent think your going to attack them head on with this style, then switch direction at the last second and try and flank them while attacking.

Slow style is my perfered "primary" attack. Your most useful attack in slow style is right strafe + primary attack. This will launch an extremely long range left to right swipe. Using this attack you WANT your opponent to get around you. Let them think they have you off guard while you start swinging. As soon as they get beside/behind you turn quickly in mid swing and you're almost guaranteed a hit. The trick to this is purely timing. You need to know when your saber is at full extension (when it's directly in front of you). The fastest way to finish someone off is to hit them once with this attack then quickly go into medium style and launch a full combo head on. You're likely to land 1 hit and that's all you need after a power hit.

Most importantly, feel your opponent out. NEVER NEVER NEVER just start a fight and rush at someone. I guarentee you everytime someone does this to me they're dead before they finish their combo.

It's all about anticipation. Go into fast mode and hit and go a few times to learn how your opponent is going to react. After you get a basic understanding of your opponent you should be able to roughly anticipate their moves. If you can anticipate, then you have a MUCH better chance of winning.

Don't jump too often. I see people jump jump jump. Once you're in the air you can only adjust your direction by so much. Therefore your opponent will have a rough idea of where your coming down. Use this info against your opponent for quick wins. Instead use your strafe roll (strafe + crouch). During a roll you can completely change directions making you MUCH more difficult to anticipate.

An advanced tactic is the no sabre attack. Basically you disengage your sabre. As you make your attack quickly hit alt fire (this will re-engage your sabre) and attack. Doing this will throw your opponent off guard more often then not, leaving them a bit confused and an easier target.

Anywho, I'm not going to a doctoral discertation so I'll stop there.

Anyone who wants a little 1v1 action with me feel free to find me in a game under the name Shade. I'm always more then happy to give peeps pointers. Or learn something new myself =) There's no such thing as a newbie...just experts who haven't had enough practice.

Peace :jawa

The reason I say use the strong swing is this:

In most the duels I'm in, the only way you're going to get a hit in is if your opponent makes a mistake. You'll get 1...MAYBE 2 swings in before the other person is LONG gone, and those first 2 are probably hitting empty air to begin with. If you constantly just "roll around" eventually you're GOING to hit a wall, or another object...and your opponent will cut you in half. I have yet to run into a "wild" fighter that could win consistently. Every single 8/0 + duelists I see are methodical...calm...and strike only when they KNOW they can land a hit or in order to cause their opponent to make a mistake.

That's really what dueling comes down to...and more people will find this out when more people gain skill...dueling is more about waiting for or causing your opponent to leave themselves open/make a mistake then it is about you "getting through their defenses."

Blah blah blah :D You won't care what I say until you see it heh

Peace:jawa

Rahl: Don't know if this works against bots (pretty sure, though): Pick a non-duel arena and set it it to just you and a single bot (or more, if you want), and then challenge it to a duel. Dueling limits what Force powers are accessible (as in, if it's not passive, it doesn't work). Should take care of your lightning problem...

Can anyone confirm if one can challenge a bot?

Hi all!

I'm new to the boards so please don't mind me if i'm a lil short of smart or stellar.

I've just got the game and I have to say it rox, the only drawback I feel is the puzzle solving and slow startup of the SP mode.

But aaaannnnnnnyyyyyywwaaaaayyyyyy back to the topic.

I was wondering, how come when I force pull the guy he just automatically pushes me and the powers are negated (these are bots). Do they sense it automatically? Cos sometimes when they try a move or so I see them doing it but it doesn't seem to affect me either.

Once in a blue moon I'll connect with a pull and downstrike, anyone with tips for a newbie on how to use force n sabre more efficiently?

Open to all comments! Thanks!

"Everyone has got scars of their own, people who don't are just shallow bastards"-- Hiei from Yuuyuu Hakusho

:confused:

Yao, the skills you have with push and pull also work to defend against them (pull vs. push and vice versa). Also, if the person isn't doing anything (or even just walking around) you won't generally be able to push or pull them much because they aren't doing anything to be off balance and they are ready to defend themselves. If you want to push or pull someone, wait until they're about to attack (in a swing) or jumping.

For the dueling tips:

First off, get a feel for the lightsaber in it's different stances and see what you like. After some SP practice I'm liking using the medium and light stances more.

The basics have already been said, don't go out in a head on charge, but try and test your opponent out, see how quickly they react. If you lunge at them do they go wild with attacks?

Also, the acrobatic tricks is true, keep moving (try to stay ground based as much as possible to avoid being pushed if not in a duel). I like doing the flip and attacks, as it usually keeps the person too busy to push (tho I do get pushed). The kartwheel flip (strafe into a wall and hit jump while hitting attack) and the medium stance flip attack can be quite useful for catching someone off guard.

Also, the biggest thing: Stay aware of where your opponent is, and while there are gambit maneuvers that have you turn your back to the opponent, try to keep your front to them. Even more important than the person at times, keep track of their saber. I've been caught more than a few times from behind by a thrown saber.

The best way to practice I'd say is download some of the maps people are making (like Wessman's and Ji Wan I believe his name is). So you don't have to panic, give yourself god mode and just get used to fighting and the saber. Eventually you'll get relaxed and comfortable, then try it without god mode. I've noticed a serious improvement due to my immortal sessions, as it gives me time to figure things out and I don't panic because I know I'm not going to die.

The only piece of advise I can give is to wait for an opening. After your opponent makes a wide slash, get in there an hack back immediately. On medium they leave themselves open for about half a second, longer for strong.

Fast mode doesn't leave openings so its just a matter of endurance. Im a big fan of medium mode, their is enough power to bring an opponent down in two well timed strikes and you not nearly as vulnerable as in strong mode.

Thanks Deliriu and Mustang!

Had my first taste of multiplayer today, boy was it fun! People in the community seem better than the other multiplayer games around *cough* *counterstrike* *cough*.

Managed to find my own style, please feel free to comment about it and to tell how to improve.

I generally stick to medium/heavy stance. I notice that the twirlings of the sabre are good to hit with but leaves a tad bit of an opening to get yourself canned.

Ive got a way to utilise the heavy stance as a surprise attack.

I'm sure by now the lot of you know that right starfe and attack in heavy mode gives the baddest attack. I time it and stay a dist away and then i hit speed and rush towards the enemy to give it to them, it works well but thent he tradeoff is half your force bar ;).

I know this has been discussed very often but then which do u guys think better to use with sabre.

1] pull

2] push

3] depends

Thanks alot!

Well I've been playing for about a week now and I'd say the key to sabre fighting is knowing where you are and where your opponant is at all times. No matter what happpens don't allow yourself to get disorientated. You'll find that this will develope the more you play. It did to me anyway.

You can also manipulate then into fighting where you want to fight. You can control the duel.

I don't rush them but I do keep the pressure on. If they jump away from you chuck your sabre at them. If they run at you force push them away and chuck your sabre at them. If they run away from you force pull them back in and give em a whack for chickening out. Run to an area that you want to fight in. Don't just go for it.

I have to reccomend retracting your sabre too. It works wonders when trying to confuse an enemy. Makes you feel well hard too.

To answer the push/pull question, I find pull generally works better, because if you get a knockdown with push, you have to run to your enemy, whereas if you pull and strafe a little, if you get a knockdown he's right there.

Additionally, if he's already close and you strafe+pull, he'll have his back turned to you and will most likely be disoriented for a second.

i think the throw is effective if you try and guess where your opponant is headed.

for instance if you throw you saber and you have range, but it misses your opponant, move diagonally across to them, so that you saber is effectively moved behind them, and in the return cycle of your throw it should get them, they can't defend a returning saber in their back!

Also, a tactic on jumpers who insist on using the strong stance and the one kill trick.. if you can't move out of the way, make sure you've got a finger close to the push force. when they jump to you preparing their attack, just push them back from wence the came..

i'd advise using Mind trick (or invisibilty) whenever possible. usually duelists haven't configured their set up to have force seeing close to hand, therefore, use mind trick and cloak. As most have force lightning or heal configured.

The trick here is to move as quietly as you can. jumping helps. Remember, the other player can still HEAR your steps and moans,etc.. so they'll be trying to keep distance on you and evade your sounds. Therefore, predict where you think they might be headed and get there best you can. Only when you think you're close enough (and they still haven't toggled to Force seeing yet) strike. You'll decloak, but if you get in close they should take at least a hit. you can throw your saber too, waiting for their back or side angle is usually the best trick.

Aha!

So how does pull really work, lets say if im not moving and i pull rite? He will just fly towards me, but if i strafe while facing him AND pull? Will he fly past behind me?

Had a cool game yesterday, this guy did this grip thing on me and tried to drop me off the ledge, as he swung me I pulled him (since he was swinging me around I presumed that was in a way a "strafe"). The sucker juz flew behind me and down the chasm ;)

heehhee.

And regarding grip, how does it ACTUALLY work, you have to be of some range and hold the button, but sometimes it connects and it does not, is it one of those counterable forceies?

Dan

Originally posted by rahl

Anyone have any dueling tips? I win more than I lose against Padawans, but Jedi enemies win two out of three against me. Also, when you guys are practicing against bots, what force settings do you use? I've been playing w/Padawan force level, b/c I get really annoyed when enemy bots start throwing lightning when I'm trying to work on my lightsaber skillz. Any help appreciated.

-rahl

The best way to take on any kind of bot in dueling is to do the crouch roll and jump A LOT. I have easily defeated Jedi Master bots 10 to 7 with both of us at jedi master force powers. Also the best thing for multiplayer in this game is to have a 5 button laser mouse w/ clickable wheel you can set your most valuable forces to your f key, your two non fire buttons on the mouse and another one to the wheel click. ohterwise you have to fumble around for the f-keys. This can lead to some serious problems (you have to take your hand off of either the mouse or the WASD keys which means either you can't move, or you can't look around while you move, which is very bad for lightning)

i like to configure as follows:

>lightnihg as mouse wheel click

>either force push or pull as the f key (good for seber locks, and anti grip)

>force heal on mouse for jedi master game, otherwise i would recomend force seeing

>and lastly dark rage on the other mouse button

these are the most commonly used for dueling. considering jedi mind trick won't work on those that are jedis, that is best used in jedi master mode.

BTW: dont use a lot of special saber moves, they really arn't worth it. Forward lunge is too weak - and the downward hack is extremly powerfull, but rarly hits (especialy in deuling, considering your opponent will be moving around a lot)

Originally posted by OkieDokie

I know this sounds really stupid, but I've had the game for about 4 days and was wondering how you change your Stance ie. Heavy Stance ect when dueling w/ sabers. Thanks alot :)

Hit "L". your saber color in the lower right corner will change from blue to wellow, to red. if "L" does not work, then look at your control settings

Blue = light stance

Yellow = Medium stance

Red = Heavy stance

ok, the CHEAPEST way to kill someone is with force pull + HEAVY swing.

many copied this style after i got many complaints in a game, "dude you are cheap" (lol) "goto a non force game"(my reply) why should i playa hate gun guys for using guns in a gun enabled game?

i found this while trying to steal weapons from other players.

pull when they are pretty close and are about to attack (watch out if they are already in a heavy swing). the opponent should fall to the floor. then if the opponent doesnt know that he can force push you or hold the jump button down for a quick getup, HEAVY SWING his ass. then if he had shields and is still alive u can fry him with lightning...or a quick swing.

and against gun players, just reflect the LASER blasts or pull the weapon then go for the kill. FORCE PUSH missiles/bombs/and other non energy projectiles (not too many ppl do this)

but in legit dueling, cross slashes and SPEED is the key. always try to get around the person to create mouse/keyboard confusion for him. always saber throw when u have force and are a decent distance away (not far), like after a run at swinging him. when u are defending, in order to not get hit, always face the player for a block with your saber otherwise just stay a good distance for striking and evading. you cant risk the precious health

my setup:

MAX

jump (if its a map that needs it, other wise level 1-2)

push

pull

drain

saber offense (A MUST)

saber defense (A MUST for deflecting and blocking in duels)

saber throw (only force using skill that does damage)

there is my advice for decent multiplay

vs force grip use push/pull for immediate help against a drop into a pit. otherwise swing his health away or throw.

Sometimes i pull and the guy sorta counters it

wats the best way to pull?

To make sure it connects?

They said in nuetral stance u wunt get screwed sometimes i run to the other player withour attacking and i still get pushed, sometimes ppl are in mid duel and i pull and it doesnt work

Any sure fire ways out there people?

Dan:deathstar

Archived